1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card I hope?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Y4J, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I was playing a computer game the other day (World of Warcraft) and out of nowhere my computer shut off... The first thing I checked was my Heatsink fan for my processor, because last time something like this happened, I didn't have my fan on correctly and the processor would heat up..

It was fine, so I turned on my PC again and it came on and I thought nothing of it..

Well 15-20 minutes later, my PC shut off again...

I was tired, considering it was 2am so I went to sleep and when I awoke the next morning, I attempted to turn on my PC again... This time it didn't turn on...

The fans and everything would come on for a SPLIT second then everything would power down again.. So my new ideas were that either my processor is dead, or my power supply..

Well, I bought a power supply and it did the same thing... I decided to turn it on ONE last time and my PC came on, but a small little flame came out from my graphics card! My graphics card basically caught on fire! O.O

So my question is this... Do you think the reason my PC was acting the way it was was because my graphics card was acting up and it finally went dead?

BTW, i'm running a 400w power supply, I have a chaintech VNF4 Ultra motherboard, my tower has 3 fans, and my graphics card WAS a 6600GT. I plan on getting a 7600GT REALLY soon. Maybe even after I post this.

EDIT: Now that the graphics card is out, my PC DOES come on, so I assume it was the graphics card. But i'd love some advice.

2. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Bump from page 4

3. bonk

bonk Banned

First of all how did you know the fire came out your video card.....and if it comes on what is it using for a video card now or is it just using basic VGA?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would definitely believe the card was defective and if everything works ok now with I assume onboard video, then proceed to get a new card.

5. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Bonk, the reason I know about the fire because I saw the smal flame come from it lol.

Another thing is when I turn the computer on, everything turns on (Fans, HDD, CD rom) but nothing loads up and shows on the screen. I think it's trying to still go off the graphics card I once had. (Like the drivers)

Any ideas?

6. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

Bump from page 3.

7. brite750

brite750

:D LOL please tell me you have pictures:D which part of card was on fire?

8. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I know! I had my camera RIGHT by me! It was funny because I was with my Dad and REAL calmly I pointed at my graphics card and went "Fire..."

The very end on the right side towards the top right corner..

But yea.. Is the reason why it's not loading to anything like bios is because the drivers are still in "use' and the PC is trying to read the other graphics card? Cuz everything else turns on.. It just basically turns on but doesnt load anything...

Or maybe a jumper is loose or in the wrong socket?

9. brite750

brite750

:D too funny, well not for you so much, Ive never heard of that, psu maybe but not a gfx card

what do you me not loading, it should still boot to windows with new card, just have crappy resolution, until new drivers are installed

10. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I havent put a new card in.. I'm waiting for it to get in the mail..

When I mean not load, I mean nothing comes up.. Like on the screen.. Like the PC turns on but it doesnt show anything like bios, or windows loading up or anything.. I was thinking it was because of the graphics card not being there.. I put an OLD PCI (not express) graphics card just to see if it works, but it didn't, so im just guessing that the drivers are trying to read the PCI Express slot and since theres nothing there, it's not loading up anything.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

You might have to turn the pci slot on in the bios for video.

12. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

The thing is I can't even get to the bios cuz it doesn't even go to that! I think it MIGHT be on though (the PCI slot) because I hook the monitor into it..

Im hoping once I put the card in it will be ok..

13. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I have an update and ALSO another question..

I put my new graphics card in (XFX 7600GT) and my PC is back and running!

Here's my question...

Before, my PC was running an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor, a 6600GT, and a gig of Ram and I played mostly World of Warcraft... I would normally run 60-70 fps and then around 30-40 when the game got busy.. THIS with all settings in game graphics turned up and AA at 4x.. Well, now with the 7600GT, I normally run 70-75fps but still at 30-40 when the game got busy.. Really, I don't see a HUGE difference, if any... And I think I should with jumping from a 6600GT to a 7600GT...

Do you think it's because im bottlenecking with a possible 3000+ processor with the new graphics card? FYI as well, I have all the recent drivers as well...

So whacha think?

14. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

No, that's about right. There isn't a big jump from a 6600GT to a 7600GT, especially since WoW does not use much of the hardware acceleration the new card (or even the old one) provides. By the way, if you would have moved up slightly, to a 7900, you would have noticed something. The 7900 has faster on-board RAM (DDR3) than the cards below it.

By the way, your system not booting without the graphics card had nothing to do with Windows or any drivers. Your computer stopped at the POST (power on self-test). It stopped because the BIOS couldn't find a video card. If your speaker in your case was working properly, you would have heard several beeps. In any case, your computer stopped functioning before the motherboard was tested. The video card BIOS is the first test your POST performs. It failed, so your computer quit. This happened before your RAM, hard drive, or anything else was tested.

Courtney sends....

15. ledzeppelinftw

ledzeppelinftw

As I type this, WoW is minimized on my task bar. So I'm an avid player.

the 7600 GS 512 MB will make WoW run perfectly, though you might want to upgrade that power supply to a 500 watt.

this graphics card makes everything look so crisp, and it didn't cost me much.

the amount of memory your graphics card supports is very important, hopefully you didn't get a 256 Mb.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice