1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card IC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rafieshan, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rafieshan

Rafieshan Thread Starter

My graphics card's ic just lit up in front of my face.

First, out of the blue, my pc wouldn't start, like at all. The hdd light would just blink once, and the pc would just die. No screens, nothing. Then I opened the side panel of the pc to see what was going on. Then I clicked the power button, and a bright burning yellow light just breathed once. Then i got a light to see what it was, and it was this. Now, miraculously the pc is running like nothing happened.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Rafieshan, and welcome to TSG.

Judging from the silk-screened part designation on the printed circuit board and the appearance of the part, a capacitor, not any kind of integrated circuit (ic), burned up.

From your description of what transpired, I suspect the capacitor may have been used as a local filter capacitor across one of the video board's supply voltage inputs from the power supply. If this capacitor had initially failed with an internal short circuit, it could have drawn excessive current and started to overheat. The power supply's overcurrent protection may have shut down before the capacitor burned up. Doing this several times may have further damaged the capacitor until it did actually burn up before the supply could shut down.

The video board would appear to have normal operation if the capacitor failed and became an a open circuit. It is likely that any electrical noise on the power supply line is low enough to not require a bypass capacitor in your particular case. If video does become erratic, you may need to replace the capacitor.

lynx1021 likes this.
  3. Rafieshan

Rafieshan Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.
    As i said, the computer is running like nothing happened. So what should i do right now?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Be happy that the failed capacitor did not cause any further damage. Keep using the computer.

5. Rafieshan

Rafieshan Thread Starter

:'v... Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice