Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphics card in PCI-E x16 doesn't work, works fine in the x4 slot ??

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  enosoma 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if my problem is my graphics card (EVGA GTX 460 1GB) or my motherboard (Biostar TZ68A+ LGA1155).

This computer is a brand new build. Please click my system specs for more details.

I have two PCI-E 2.0 slots. There is one x16 slot and one x4 slot.

90% of the time, my machine freezes a few seconds after powering on (at the BIOS logo screen or a few seconds after that) while inserted in the x16 slot. Sometimes it works, however, yet it is so infrequently that I've given up on the x16 slot for now. It will even freeze after I've entered my BIOS settings page, even just while browsing around in it.

The same graphics card in my PCI-E 2.0 x4 slot works fine (if you ignore the fact that it's running at 1/4 it's potential speed). At least I can boot the machine up.

I've spoken with a few different professionals about this, and the conclusion is that my problem lies either (a) with my PCI-E x16 slot; or (b) with my GTX 460. Apparently the graphics card COULD work just fine in the x4 slot and still be damaged.

Now, I know that you're going to tell me to try a different card in my computer, or try the card in a different computer. However that isn't practical for me at the moment.

I was wondering what you guys think, or if anyone has experience with this first-hand.

What are you leaning towards? Mobo, or Gfx card?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.