1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by super_chunks, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. super_chunks

super_chunks Thread Starter

what do i need to know about my computer to know what graphics cards are compatible with my computer? how do i find out the information that i need? and how do i physically install the card once i have it? If it help at all, my computer is a compaq presario SR503NX.
    Thanks for any info.

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

First off, I tried your Model number and got 0 results for tech support.
    compaq presario SR503NX must not be the mdel number. Can you look for that on the PC again?

3. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

You can use a program called PC wizard and it will give you some information about your system which would help.

4. super_chunks

the model number is SR5030NX sorry about that.

5. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

6. super_chunks

i have no idea what that means

7. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

That's the type of graphics card that fits your computer. PCI Express x16. There are many to choose from. You have to figure out how much you want to spend, and what exactly do you require from the card.

8. super_chunks

where can i find/get them?

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

www.newegg.com

10. super_chunks

so if it says PCI express x16 than it's compatible with my comp.?

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No, compaq is notorious for installing a PSU that will barely run the machine as shipped. Add a high-end graphics card and you will be in trouble for sure.

12. super_chunks

so how will i know?

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Either look at the specs of your machine on the HP site, or open the machine and look at the sticker on the power supply. All of the high-end cards have a "minimum power rating" and they have it for a reason.

You will se on the side of the PSU.................

Max watts

Amps on each rail

etc.

Make sure the power supply has enough gas to push any card you decided to buy. I hate OEM computers because even though the price is great at times, the upgrade path just sucks.

14. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

This is why I didn't want to suggest any specific cards. With Compaq/HP machines you can't even find what power supplies they have on the support pages. You definately have to read the sticker.
    If you're clueless, super_chunks, you can take the computer to CompUsa, Circuit City or someplace like that and they'll help you pick out a card and install it for you (for a fee). At least that way they're responsible for anything that goes wrong.

15. super_chunks

not completely clueless, and my dad is a network administrator. im just trying to figure out how to do things on my own.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice