1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SOFwhitewolf, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf Thread Starter

Hi guys, So i have a vaporX 5870. Runs really well and seems to have no issues but with BF3 and Skyrim. now i think the reason is that only those 2 games push the card. So after playing either for around say 20 min the temps on the card go way up.

ADA64:
    GPU Diode (dispIO) will show around 58c
    GPU Diode (MemIO) will show around 64c
    GPU Diode (Shader) will show around 68c
    this is with the card fan at 75%

Now i know these temps arnt bad at least i dont think so but if it gets any higher i think around 70 the card shuts down and display is killed and the card will have fans go to max. im assuming its the safety procedure for high temps hitting the peak. My MCP, north bridge on this MB was causing issues before ( Zotec 9300) but i fixed that and now its only maxing at like 52c.

So Either the card is not cooling itself corectly or my case cooling is not good enough or something in between??

System specs
    Water cooled CORSAIR CWCH50
    Pentium 6300 O.C to 3.4Ghz
    Zotac 9300 G-E
    4G Ram
    Sapphire Vapor x 5870

Also is there a way to check after the fact of the card/computer crashing? is there logs somewhere?

2. adam3088

adam3088

I think you've got more problems then just the temperature, the card shouldnt be shutting down at 70c. That's warm, but far from excessive, the 5870 has a max of around 105c so you're a good way off.

What case have you got, just out of interest?

3. SOFwhitewolf

I have a Cooler Master CM 690 II. Now at this time i have a front 120mm fan, side 120mm fan and a top 120mm fan. system stays quite cool unless gaming. but most games run fine and cool just bf3 and skyrim my luck lol

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Based purely on the temps you have said it doesn't appear to be a cooling problem, those temps aren't excessive at all and as adam has said they are well within thermal specs for the card.

Exactly what make, model and wattage is your power supply?
    What direction do the installed case fans blow (in or out), although I don't suspect a problem here again based on your temps.

5. adam3088

adam3088

PSU does seem to be a likely suspect, both skyrim and BF3 are quite heavy on resources so if your power supply is only just enough that would be a good reason for it cutting out.

If it is high enough wattage + decent brand, might still be worth having a look at your voltages.

6. SOFwhitewolf

7. adam3088

adam3088

Well on specs alone that PSU is just about good enough, cant say I've ever heard of the manufacturer Nexus so am unable to comment on their build quality.

To be sure it's not the problem you're going to have to find a known good replacement PSU, it's a pain but neccessary to rule it out.

8. freakyautumn

freakyautumn

That card is not very hot at all. What is the video card RAM?, although I cant believe that is the problem...try the PSU replacement...that just doesn't seem right that the PSU is not good enough...

9. SOFwhitewolf

Yea and i really think replacing the PS is kinda an expensive test.I dont have one laying around. i would hope to find another way to figure the issue out, i would think that the system failure would have some sort of crash log somewhere showing the reason.

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    How old is your PSU, I have been trying to get some reviews and more detailed specs on it but everything I can find is about two years old!

For a modern gaming system 540w is on the low side, with age, load and wear and tear that output will reduce. PSU problems can manifest themselves in many wierd and wonderful ways, so never discount it.

Try downloading and installing HWMonitor, as long as your board etc has the relevant sensors this can give you an idea of your PSU's output. It is better to physically test it with a PSU tester or digital voltmeter, but software is free and a good initial test.

When installed, run the program and either post all the displayed min, max and current voltages for your PSU or just screenshot it and post that. Then, with HWMonitor still running in the background, run a game for 5-10 minutes (hopefully without a problem) then post the HWMonitor results again. The software isn't perfect and does, occasionally, report really out of range numbers. This is normally due to incorrect interpretation of the sensors outputs, anything that looks really badly out is worth double checking in the BIOS which will be accurate, just harder to load test.

11. wilson44512

wilson44512

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice