1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amalan2k, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

I bought this dimension 8400 from a friend but cannot determine the graphics card type. its an external card, but everything says unavaile and cant find drivers. i was able to use ms dos to determine its by ati, but i cant determine any model numbers or anything else. i even pulled the card out and wrote down numbers and stuff. what exactly do i need to do???

2. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

Nevermind. got using a program called unknown devices. thanx

3. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

actually, im still having a problem. according to unknown devices my graphics card is an ati radeon x600. so i download the driver and install it. then i restart the computer and after the windows xp sign is up and the loading bar is on the screen the monitor goes off as if no input. it looks like the computer is loaded and on and everything but no screen.

4. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

right now im downloading the ati vga driver hoping this will work.

5. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

can somebody help me please. nutins workin

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the screen is just going blank then the video driver may be setting the resolution or refresh rate too high, bring up the Windows Startup Menu(F8) and choose VGA Mode.

7. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

I chose vga mode. now the screen and everything is extra big and if i try to change any of the settings it turns right off. i want the ati card to work correctly. it looks like the drivers are installed, but i cant get it to work correctly.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

got em from the ati website. gota go to church rite now ill try wat u say after. no i did not install the intel chipset or go to the dell website

10. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

ive really been trynna get this thing done on my own, but this pc is givin me the hardest time. the message i keep getting now from the ati software which i did download from dell is. setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. setup will now exit. how do i get around this one, without pullin out anymore hair??? i also installed intel drivers. i believe

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

installed it. at a certain part of the install i got a SEVERE message which said NO DISPLAY SERVICE ERROR. i just clicked ok and let the installation finish out. rebooted the computer after. and the monitor went into standby mode again. Why me?? and also, do i need to install a driver for my monitor???

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Uninstall all the ATI drivers from Add/Remove Programs, and then run DriverSweeper to remove all ATI drivers: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

The Intel chipset drivers are critical, they should be installed after installing the latest Service Pack for Windows and before any other drivers.

Just to be sure they did install, here are the latest directly from Intel: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

Then try reinstalling the ATI drivers again.

I also see that several of the BIOS updates mention PCI-Express enchantments and fixes, maybe that will help.

14. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

is there a way i can run 3d games and such without installin the ati x600 my device should be using that i cant get to work

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Without drivers you will not 3D games to work or any applications that relies on anything beyond a basic display, even web page rendering and general programs will not work smoothly or at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice