Graphics card may be dammaged

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clickie

Hi guys, about 3 days ago i got GTA IV for the pc off steam and every thing was fine untill yesterday when my computer crashed with some weird virtical white lines and purple pixels all over the place, i updated the drivers i started to play on Fallout 3 and about 2-3 minutes later the same thing happend. This morning i searched for a solution and it come up with a website, this was the actual website it come up with. i noticed that they had exactly the same problem as me.

this is a picture that i took just so you know what i am talking about.
Image 1

when i started looking at other threads on the website i noticed a few others having simmilar problems which it mostly involves the PSU and Graphics card.

Motherboard: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.40 GHz
Memory Ram: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
PSU: Corsair HX620W

I made the computer just over 2 years ago. I guess i am just looking for confirmation that it is the same problem that a few other people have had, and if it is could you recommend a graphics card and/or PSU that will be compatible with the rest of my computer.

I have also posted this on the other website and an member of the fourm called Tyree replyed with this:

"The problem appears to be GPU failure.You have a good quality PSU so all you should require is a new GPU. Filling all the RAM slots on a Mobo can cuase Voltage issues."

I was wondering if i should downgrade my ram to 6gb or 4gb?.

Thanks

Are these idle or load temperatures? If they are idle load GTA and play for a while, then alt + tab and check the temperatures again. ;)

clickie

Yeah, those are idle temps, i have tryed to run GTA twice now and Fallout 3 on the lowest settings but it keeps crashing my computer after a few seconds :(.

I would uninstall one of the games and restart and reinstall and then get all game updates....if the problem still happens then ....I had a similar problem......re-installing the operating system fixed it......

You could try your Vid card on another PC as a test

I made the computer just over 2 years ago. I guess i am just looking for confirmation that it is the same problem that a few other people have had, and if it is could you recommend a graphics card and/or PSU that will be compatible with the rest of my computer.
IMHO, if you are looking for confirmation you should bring your machine to a computer repair shop and let them do some professional testing. Everything indicates that the problem lies with your GPU, PSU or both, however it's impossible to know for sure without further testing. Remember, this is a web forum and we are just speculating here! ;)

If you want to troubleshoot the problem yourself try doing what's described below:

"The problem appears to be GPU failure.You have a good quality PSU so all you should require is a new GPU. Filling all the RAM slots on a Mobo can cuase Voltage issues."

I was wondering if i should downgrade my ram to 6gb or 4gb?.
You should remove any extra hardware (including any additional RAM modules, HDD, optical drives, PCI cards, extra fans, usb devices) and leave only what's necessary for your system to post (boot HDD, GPU, CPU, graphics card and basic fans). This way you will be able to find out if the PSU is being strained by your hardware. That's the usual PSU troubleshooting procedure...

You have a great PSU but remember, even those can fail.

When you are done disconnecting any extra hardware boot your machine and try a few games. See if the problem persists.

You could try your Vid card on another PC as a test
That's a good idea as well. You can also try installing another video card to your machine, either way you will know if your geforce is indeed faulty.

Another thing you could try is completely removing your video card drivers (use driver sweeper - google around or search TSG for instructions on how to use it - you must use it when in safe mode so it can be effective) and then reinstalling them.

You can find driver sweeper here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

clickie

I'll try the list of things you give me, and if nothing happends i'll have to hand it in. I'll also keep you informed if anything thing happens.

Thanks again for your help guys.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online