graphics card, need help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pyroknifeman_666

i have an nvidia Geforce 6200 graphics card, and i tried to update it on nvidia's website. once i updated it, it had me restart my comp (like normal). once it restarted, i just got a blank screen on my monitor with the words "out of range" . . . not sure what the heck that means.

after contacting my school's tech support (which is a horrible service), they told me to try to get my comp running in "vga mode" (don't know what that is either). once i got that done, after having to hook up my monitor to the graphics processor my comp came with, i finally got my comp running again. yey.

except now i have the problem of not being able to use my nvidia geforce card. i went to their site for tech support, and on the faqs it said to try to uninstal the driver, then redo the update, then it should work fine . . . except now my comp won't recognize the card, and i guess i lost the cd to get it installed . . . (i bought the card almost 2 years ago)

now i'm stuck with out being able to use it, or update it appearently. all i want to do is just get it reinstalled, please help.

Hi pyroknifeman_666

I agree that you need to fully un-install/re-install your video drivers
Your comp - not recognizing the card, may mean that your onboard (if you have another VGA port on the back of your PC) drivers may not be set up correctly first.

The out of range usually refers to a physical bad data connection from display to PC.

Remove all video drivers
Install all onboard (motherboard) drivers
Install your nvidia Geforce 6200 graphics card drivers

If this fails again, you could temporarily remove the video card from your computer and startup without it. It is a sure way to remove any conflict.

pyro: Try this: Go to Device Manager>Display adapters. Click the plus sign to open it and right click on the 6200 and choose Uninstall. You will get a warning about removing it but proceed. Shut down and connect your monitor to the video card outlet.
Turn on the computer. It should find new hardware and install the driver.
If necessary, allow the wizard to access the net for the driver.

Flags
You should remove the software in full - which will in turn remove the drivers from device manager. Just removing the inf hardware from device manager is not enough for video cards.
Hence the large size of these drivers ~40 Meg in some cases.

pyroknifeman_666

well, when i've already tried to reinstall it, i get an error that says that it is an outdated format? i don't understand that, since the update is new

Usually refers to either Driver is outdated for your card (Win98?)
Or that the card itself is outdated to your OS (are you running Vista - and has this card worked before?)

pyroknifeman_666

i have xp, and i had the card for almost 2 years . . . it's worked fine but been slowing down, so i tried to update it.

when you uninstall, do it through safe mode.
also, have you set your bios back to recognizing your pci-e or agp card.

Some of these video card drivers are unbelievably difficult to install at times.

When I have tried everything (including bios - good idea)
I then fully remove the card software and hardware (assuming your PC has its own VGA)

Fit your monitor to the onboard card (note if you have an LCD it should have come with an adaptor for the 15 Pin VGA port on your motherboard)
Confirm Windows starts properly (with the onboard card - true color and all)

Then shutdown and re-install the 3D card - refit the data cable to it - confirm bios again.
Start Windows and re-load the driver (I'd download this again too)

That'll work !

Hmmm the 3D PCI (only) cards arn't very good (32 or 64 Meg)

I'm concerned if you're unsure of bios, that you be unsure of opening and reseating cards too.
The bios (Basic Input Output System) runs your entire computer and has its own little menu and all. If you do the wrong thing in Bios, then your computer may not start again !!

You may need a techie ready to come and help. Or it may be an idea to take it to a PC repair shop. Just for a driver issue !!

Maybe you could just re-download the video driver again (reading all the steps before you get the link - Xp 32Bit ? )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online