1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Not Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forsythe_99, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. forsythe_99

forsythe_99 Thread Starter

Hi

I recently had to reinstall XP and since then my graphics card (Geforce FX 5200) isn't detected in device manager, although the monitor is plugged into it and works fine.

Is it likely to be something to do with the motherboard drivers because I had to reinstall the onboard sound drivers for it?

I tried to install the latest Geforce drivers but the program said it couldn't detect a viable card either.

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you know what board you have? Or, the make/model of the machine?

3. forsythe_99

Motherboard is an old Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. forsythe_99

This hasn't worked :(

OS is XP

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you have listed under Display Adapters in Device Manager? What card did you use before?

7. forsythe_99

There is no tab for Display Adapters in Device Manager. There was before and I was using the same graphics card as I have now

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

What graphics are you using now? Did the chipset drivers install without any problems?

9. forsythe_99

The chipset drivers seemed to install fine.

Not sure what graphics its using! In Display settings>Advanced>Properties, it just says VgaSave. On the adapter page its completely blank

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you using the graphics that is built-in? In other words, there is no graphics card except your new one? If so, you may want to go into BIOS setup to see what options are available. You may see options to disable on-board graphics, or to choose which display adapter to use: AGP or PCI.

11. forsythe_99

Yeah I had a look in BIOS to see if there were any options to turn off onboard graphics but I couldn't see anything. I'll have another look though.

There is no other graphic card except for the one I'm trying to use. Its not new, its about a year or 2 old and was working fine until I reinstalled Windows a couple of days ago.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have graphics drivers installed at this point, uninstall all of them. Use Add/Remove to be sure they are all gone and then these tools (at least one of them) to remove any remnants:

Nasty File Remover
    Driver Cleaner Professional

Also, take a look at your manual to see if there is a jumper on the board for disabling on-board graphics.

13. forsythe_99

Argh still not working!

14. htn

htn

easy, go to nvidia.com and download the necessary drivers

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

What isn't working?

You know, it doesn't look like that board has integrated graphics. Where is your monitor connected? Have you removed the old graphics card before trying to install a new one? Do you have just one card installed now, or 2? How many sets of video connectors are on the back?

Are there any problem devices displayed in Device Manager?

Can you try the old card?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567238