1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card not detecting monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brightshield, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brightshield

Brightshield Thread Starter

Hi, I just built a new p.c and I'm trying to get a picture on the monitor.

The graphics card is not detecting the monitor. the monitor's a crt which the graphics card does not support, the graphics card is a ge-force 7600 by xfx, I used a bridge from the graphics card package. this allows the crt connection to attach to the lcd port on the graphics card. The monitor looses connection and the monitor lcd drops its color as soon as I hook it up to the bridge. I think that may be the problem, but I'm not sure.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you do get a picture but then its fades out? Do you have another monitor you can try to see if it works?

The connectors on the video card are DVI, for Digital Visual Interface. You can run CRT's, LCD's, or TV's off it. And you can run analog devices off it using the DVI to VGA convertor.

3. Brightshield

Nope, no picture

4. Brightshield

It loses the picture and the monitor light turns orange as soon as I plug it into the vga to dvi plug.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, are you sure the computer is even working fine? Does it beep or anything?

6. Brightshield

Let me check

7. Brightshield

No, it's not beeping, or anything at all. It's stating up the fans are whiring, and the motherboard led comes on.

8. Brightshield

But, I didddd not hook up the chasis audio, so that may be why.

9. Brightshield

Ok, yah no beeps or nothing, the hardrives aren't even doing the pre read up, something is wrong. VERY WRONG.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should go down to the basics.

Take the motherboard out of the case and set it up on an non conductive surface. Then connect only the power supply, processor with heatsink/fan, one stick of memory, and the video card. You cna also connect the front panel power switch and speaker. Don't connect any drives or PCI cards or external devices except the monitor and keyboard. Then try turning it on.

Check all the jumpers, all the power connectors, the motherbaord may require two seperate connections and the video card needs one two. Check any jumpers and try resetting the CMOS with the jumper.

If that fails post all the hardware components in the PC.

11. Brightshield

Yah, fail!

Ultra x connect 500 watt 20 pin

ocz platinum 3200 ddr

2 w.d h.d ata 160 gigs each

Xfx 7600 256 mb

asus a8n-e motherboard

X-fi xtreme soundcard

Antec p180 case (many wiressss)

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The ASUS A8N-E needs a 24 pin power supply not 20 pin. As well it needs a seperate 4 pin connection for the motherboard and the video card also needs its own poer connection, at least I think the 7600 does.

13. Brightshield

Seperate 4 pin connection? What?

14. Brightshield

The graphics card is working, but what do you mena by seperate 4 pin connection?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard requires a 24 pin and a 4 power supply connection. You must have both of these connected.

I checked and it doesn't look like your video card requiers its own power supply connection as some video cards do. But I'd look at the card just in case and see if there's connection on it for hooking up its own power.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice