1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Graphics card not functioning after replacing other hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wyatt54, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Here is my build:
    Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI MOBO
    Radeon R9 Fury X
    i5-7600k
    16 GB of RAM
    650W PSU

I replaced my motherboard, cpu, and RAM recently. As far as I can tell I did everything correctly. Did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 for the motherboard. Installed the driver software for the motherboard. However I cannot install my GPU drivers because their auto detect says that I don't have any AMD graphics hardware installed. I know that the GPU is getting power because it lights up and the fans on the water cooler spin. I have double and triple checked that it is inserted correctly into the motherboard.

After I replaced the parts, but before I reinstalled Windows the GPU worked just fine. It was only after I reinstalled Windows that it cannot be detected. I am using integrated graphics for now.

I grabbed the drivers from the CD's that came with the motherboard and GPU.

I can't figure out what is wrong, and I would appreciate the help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to connect the monitor to the Radeon card before turning the computer one and it needs to be able to display through the Radeon card right from initial power-on, if it doesn't then it's a hardware problem and not a driver problem. Maybe try a different type of cable from the PC to the monitor.

Do you have both 8 pin power connectors connected to the back of the graphics card?

What is the exact model of your power supply?

Which PCI-Express slot do you have graphics card plugged into? It should be plugged into the very top one labelled PCIEX16.

Once you get display out of the Radeon card do not use the drivers that came on the disc but go the AMD website and downloaded the latest ones.

3. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Both 8 pin power connectors are connected.

PSU model: EVGA 650W Gold Power Supply
    Forgot to mention. The PSU is also new.

It is plugged into the top slot.

I'll try having it plugged in from the initial power on. I had it this way originally until I couldn't get a display, so I switched to the integrated graphics, but I'll try again.

Thanks for the help!

4. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Just powered it on with input into the grapics card. Did not get a display. Does this mean the problem is with my motherboard? I know the graphics card works, I've been using it for months. Should I try a different slot?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can try another slot, it should work but just not optimally.

It may be the motherboard, but it could also be the graphics card. The card could have been damaged in the rebuild.

Did you end up trying another video cable?

You can also try updating the BIOS to the latest version and resetting the BIOS settings.

6. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Hmm I'll try the BIOS. I have two monitors, one connected with HDMI and the other on display port. Neither worked.
    My GPU worked with this new MOBO before I reinstalled Windows. Are you sure this is a hardware issue?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, basic video output is suppose to work at power on, if it didn't then people wouldn't be able to build new computers or install operating systems.

Since you have two monitors, have you tried only connecting one at a time and powering on?

8. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

No, I will do that right now.

9. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

I updated the BIOS and reset the settings. Just tried using just one cable, for each monitor and nothing worked. I'm going to try a different PCI slot next. Any other ideas?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    After the different slot is it possible test the card in another computer?

11. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

I couldn't reach the other PCI slot because of the position of my radiator.

I don't have another computer to test the card in, but I do have my old GTX 760. I swapped it with the Fury X and it is working. This pretty much confirms that the problem is with the graphics card. This is really surprising to me because it worked with the new installed hardware until I reinstalled Windows.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could also be a compatibility issue, it's still best the test the Fury X somewhere else.

Are both of the 8 pin connector securely connected? Are they directly from the power supply or from a splitter or adapter?

13. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Directly from the power supply. They are both 6+2 connectors. I used the exact same cord to power the GTX 760 and it is working fine. I don't have anywhere convenient to test the Fury. I would have to ask friends to mess with their expensive PCs.

14. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Is there anything else I can check to be sure? Or should I start the process of replacing it?

15. Wyatt54

Wyatt54 Thread Starter

Forgot to mention I have insurance for it, so it isn't too big of a deal. I just can't play the games I want to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice