1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card ok for Motherboard??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zzsoccer3, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zzsoccer3

zzsoccer3 Thread Starter

question... this may sounds like a dumb question, but i was wondering if i was able to use ANY GRAPHICS card with my new motherbaord, a gigabyte... i know absolutly nothing about graphics cards, so iwas looking to all of you fro some extra help!!
    Thanks!

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    It will depend upon the motherboard. There are three types of video cards, PCI (old and probably not what you want), AGP (very likely this is what the board supports) and a new type, PCI Express (very new and could possibly be what the MB supports). So the bottom line is that without knowing what MB you have, we can't tell you for sure what video card connection you need.

3. zzsoccer3

zzsoccer3 Thread Starter

THIS IS THE MOTHERBOARD I HAVE.....
    GigaByte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard

WAS LOOKING FOR AN AFFORDABLE GRAPHICS CARD THAT WOULD FIT THIS MOTHERBOARD....

Detailed Specifications
    Controller Type: Floppy Controller, IDE (Ultra ATA 100) Controller, IDE (Ultra ATA 133) Controller, IDE/EIDE Drive Array (RAID), Serial ATA, Ultra DMA 100, Ultra DMA 133, Ultra DMA 33, Ultra DMA 66
    Interface Type: Audio - Line In (1/8" Mini), Audio - Line Out (1/8" Mini), Audio - Microphone In (1/8" Mini), Audio - RCA Digital Coax (S/PDIF), Ethernet - RJ45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), Floppy - 34 pin Header, IDE - ATA/EIDE/ATAPI 40 pin Header, Keyboard - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2), Mouse - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2), Parallel - 25 pin D-shell (IEEE 1284A), Serial ATA - 7 pin, USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0
    Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
    System Board Style: ATX
    Video Bus: PCI Express x16
    Bus Speed: 2000 MHz
    Max System Memory: 4 GB
    Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM)
    Number of PCI Slots: 2
    Number of PCI-Express x1 Slots: 2
    Number of PCI-Express x16 Slots: 2
    Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64
    System Chipset: nVIDIA nForce4 SLI
    Dimensions
    Height: 12 in
    Width: 9.6 in

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK so you would need a PCI Express video card.

What do you intend to use the computer for? Any gaming, heavy gaming, etc? Also what is you budget.

5. zzsoccer3

zzsoccer3 Thread Starter

well, i'm not too sure.... i would like to watch TV on my computer, i play some games, and i think i would like to get into some video editing... as far as money goes, i was hoping to spend under $200 for a good video card... but i have no clue as to what i will need

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice