1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card/Onboard Graphics for Media Centre PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheepdisease, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Thread Starter

Hello there, I am looking for a dirt cheap, Windows 7 suitable graphics card for use with a PC designed for multimedia purposes (watching films, listening to music etc). I would like to be able to use the full visual effects Windows 7 has to offer. It must have an S-video output and be compatible with the Asus M3A78-CM Motherboard. I have 1 PCI Express x 1 slot free and 2 x PCI 2.2 slots free.

Please provide some suggestions, doesn't have to be brand new.

Either that, or something like the Gadmei XGA/VGA LCD TV BOX. I want to connect my PC with the motherboard mentioned previously to my CRT TV (Panasonic TX-28PL4 Quintrix). The motherboard has onboard graphics via dvi and vga outputs. The TV has an S-VHS plug on the front, as well as RCA Audio/Video sockets. On the rear, it has 1 spare scart input.

What are your thoughts?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Assuming it's a known factory brand one, what's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

Did that computer come with Windows 7 pre-installed?

What's the wattage of the power supply?

I don't know what you mean by "dirt cheap", but here is a good place to start looking.

Here is the support site for that motherboard with a list of its specs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sheepdisease

Thank you very much for your reply, additional info;

I built the computer a couple of years ago as a file server with Linux installed, but never got around to learning how to get it working properly (I had no idea what I was doing with Linux). So I now want to use it to store photos, music etc (and basically use it with a flat screen CRT TV) and install Windows 7 as it has a nice built in Media Centre and isn't too resource intensive, but visually pleasing.

The computer is fitted with a 400w PSU, 2 x 2GB DDR2 Twin2X RAM.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not an expert on video cards and I've never connected a computer to a TV, so you'll probably get better advice and help by clicking "Report" and then requesting your thread be moved to the HARDWARE section.

A 400W power supply should be able to handle a video card with 512 MB of video memory.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. valis

valis Moderator

moved per request.

At last resort, I'd swing into a smaller mom and pop style computer shop, and bounce this idea off of them. They rely on word of mouth business, and as such, are vastly more likely to get you the piece you need, not the piece they WANT you to need.

6. Sheepdisease

Hello there, thank you for your response! How does this graphics card compare stand up: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176604 ?

Also, will an adapter to change connector to component/RCA video and a component/RCA video to scart block work?

Will I be able to use it for occasional gaming?

7. Sheepdisease

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice