1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card only displays 1080p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sirchadwick, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirchadwick

Sirchadwick Thread Starter

I recently purchased an xfx rx580 gts xxx 8gb gpu to replace r9 280. I am running windows 10 pro 64bit and have a ryzen 5 1600 in gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 mb. I have a thermaltake 80+ 600watt psu and a single stick of ballistix sport 8gb at 2933hz. After a few hours of gameplay the screen started flashing black repeatedly. I changed hdmi cable tried different ports and finally gave up after a few days and returned for a replacement. Installed replacement and it will only work in 1080p on an lg 50in 4k tv. If i change the resolution to anything higher it starts flashing and sometimes crashes to green screen. I am out of ideas other than taking to local tech to see if he can figure it out. If you need any more information I will post it. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you using a good quality high-speed HDMI cable? Older spec cables may not be handle the higher bandwidth, and crappy cables do cause problems too. It's a cheap place to start unless you know both your cables are quality High Speed cables. You don't need a super expensive gold plated 4k labelled flashy cable but it should be a decent quality cable that's advertised as High Speed. You can get a Monoprice 6ft HDMI for about $4.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice