1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xdyldogx, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xdyldogx

xdyldogx Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 262237 MB, Free - 84009 MB; D: Total - 13005 MB, Free - 1281 MB; F: Total - 59998 MB, Free - 33807 MB; I: Total - 90679 MB, Free - 65833 MB; O: Total - 102869 MB, Free - 15943 MB; Q: Total - 223388 MB, Free - 105266 MB; T: Total - 29998 MB, Free - 18257 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

For a few days my computer has been acting weird. The main problem was it just randomly shutting down, mainly when playing a game. So I open up Piriform Speccy and see that my graphics card temperature is at 100 degrees celcius. Is that even possible? I think when I updated my drivers something messed up and is making it think it is over heating and shutting itself down. If this is a driver problem, how would I go about removing the driver and downgrading? I have an ATI 4350 HD. When my computer is just idling, it's hitting in the high 90 degrees C, but I haven't checked it in a game. I have tried to manually set the fan to 100% in the Catalyst Control Center, but I'm not hearing anything. Could there be a loose cable maybe?

~xdyldogx

2. Jonny330

Jonny330

If you want to downgrade the driver you need to go into device manager and uninstall the display adapter driver. After you do that it'll probably ask you to reboot, after which you can install the driver you want. In terms of the fan, what I'd do is try running the computer with the cover off and putting my ear near the graphics card while you adjust the fan speed to 100%, see if you hear anything. (I'm having a similar problem myself with an nvidia gts 250).

3. xdyldogx

xdyldogx Thread Starter

So I took the cover off, and the fan over the graphics card is not moving at all. CPU fan and Power Supply fan running fine, but the gpu fan is just sitting there. Anybody have any ideas how I should go about fixing it? I am a noob when it comes to hardware. I can take pics of it if it would help anyone.

I manually tried changing the fan in ATI's CCC, and still nothing.

Thanks
    ~xdyldogx

4. Jonny330

Jonny330

Well, at least that explains why your graphics card is running so hot, it's not getting any cooling. I'm not that up on ATI cards if I'm honest, but on some graphics cards there is a wire leading from the card to the fan, if your card has that make sure that's plugged in.

I must say it sounds to me like the motor for the fan might have had it, in which case I'm not sure what you could do about it. I suppose you could look into getting a different heatsink or fan for your card, although if I'm honest I wouldn't know where to start with that one.

5. JoeyImage

JoeyImage

Maybe try liquid cooling?

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As said, it looks like your GPU fan has failed (unless it has come unplugged). After market GPU coolers are pretty easy to come across, any half decent online PC component retailer should stock them.

Have a look here, some are quite big and expensive but you shouldn't need anything major for that card. Make sure the cooler is for your card, it should say.

I wouldn't recommend running that card at all until you replace that cooler, running at those temps significantly increases the change the whole card will fail which will cost more to replace.

Liquid cooling is expensive and totally unnecessary in this case.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice