1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card power demands.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billyf2010, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyf2010

billyf2010 Thread Starter

The computer I referenced is to be shipped on 1/6/11. It has an HD 4550 512mb card. The 'quickest' upgrade card I have been able to locate is preferable to me for two reasons. First it runs strictly off of the PCIe-16 slot. Second, it doesn't have a fan (the Palit does).

The question is that although PowerColor (the mfgr) 'recommends' a 450w power supply, The HP I presently have has a 320w PS AND a Palit GT 240 Sonic. Test data on the Palit and on the HD 5750 GO GREEN I'm considering show that the HD uses less average, peak and maximum watts. Therefore I can't help but believe the HD card will get along fine. Do you agree? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would not chance it.

1 manufacturers like HP use cheap units that are built to get by, not push peak power to high drain devices.
    2 Under powering causes damage to PSU, as it is under a high load it becomes less efficient, meaning that optimal number of 320 which was a best of conditions number is now nowhere near that number. Potentially it could cost you the entire PC. At least it will significantly reduce the life of the PSU.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would also upgrade the power supply. Most HP/Compaq computers use a Bestec power supply or other low cost/low quality manufacturer power supply. While the power supply is sufficient for the base computer as manufactured, adding a video card will over tax the stock power supply. If the manufacturer of the Video card recommends a 450 watt power supply I would actuall upgrade to at least a 500 watt from a quality manufacturer.

4. billyf2010

billyf2010 Thread Starter

Appreciate the replys. Let me provide you the 'data' I have personnally generated or downloaded.

First, after buying the Palit GT 240 1.5 yrs ago...immediately after purchasing the HP 6005 I added it and proceeded to measure the power demand of the system. It never came close to the 320 watt output rating of the PS. I used a Simpson meter with a current measuring adapter. I carefully watched it while playing Crysis. Please consider I'm not as a rule a heavy gamer. My thing is Photography. Lately I started scanning negatives which results in large 100-200mb+ files at 4800dpi. Using Photoshop, etc., involves manupulating large areas of 'alot of dots.' Speed is desirable, but the load spikes and is nothing like a game.

Second, I haven't (at this point) had ANY probles with the system. Having researched the GO GREEN CARD'S POWER as well as the Palit's, I found the folloing at techpowerup's website.

Operating Palit Sonic Go Green
    Status Watts Watts
    Idle 12 14
    Average 52 45
    Peak 63 52
    Max 85 62

A recent thought of mine...

Of concern in spite of this data...the Palit has it's own fan...the GoGreen is passive. I'm concerned because the PS is passive AND (I think) the computer will have 1 fan at the back. Adequate ventilation is questionable possibly overheating everything. Please comment...in the meantime I'm starting to seriously re-think this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice