1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card power question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigtree, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Hi,

Going by the specs of my PCs power pack (included photograph of the power pack below) will my PC manage OK with a graphics card that requires a 300 watt power supply and 30.5 watt max power consumption?

I'm particularly interested in the 30.5 watt max power consumption.

Thanks

(y)

I'm hoping to get it very soon (if it will work OK) so any quick answers would be really great !

Attached Files:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would replace the power supply. While liteon make fairly good Optical drives sometimes, their power supplies are really not high quality, and you only have 19A on the +12Vdc rail and a limit of 268W devided up between the +12Vdc and +5V rails. You should look at something from OCZ, Corsair, Antec, in 500 550 w range.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB video card in a desktop with a 250 watt power supply, and it works fine. It has a heat sink instead of a cooling fan, so that takes a little more load off the power supply. I also don't use the computer for gaming.

Since you didn't mention the description of your video card and what you plan to use it for, this is just something for you to compare to.

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. bigtree

bigtree Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for responding -

The card is a Zotak Nvidia Geforce 210 PCI-E Synergy Edition - 512 MB
    (specs in the link)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/zotac...edition-graphics-card-512mb-04810368-pdt.html

My PC is a HP Compaq Presario desktop CQ5305, dual core CPU E5300 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows home Premium.

I am hoping to use it for video editing, with Adobe PrE 9, but possibly some gaming too.

Am I going to set it on fire if I get this one? :confused:

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice