1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zhed, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zhed

zhed Thread Starter

Hi, I have a windows 7 PC (eMachines ET1831), it has an integrated graphics card:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i
    Chip type: GeForce 7050 / nForce 620i
    I am an amateur when it comes to computer hardware, but I am tired of playing games with very low graphics settings. I am hoping to be able to have smoother game-play with medium settings. So I'm looking for a budget upgrade (less than £65 ($100)), but my PC only has a 250W power supply.

Question: Will the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5450 work with only a 250W power supply?

Is is possible to simply upgrade a power supply like I would a graphics card?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any HD card needs a lot of power. I'd get a bigger PSU. They generally come in one standard model that fits all, but if yours is some "mini" version of machine, it may have special requirements.

But are you sure you have a slot for that card?

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Having looked on google I have found some photos of that model computer and it looks like it can fit a standard ATX psu which is always a good thing to know. As for the graphics card the case has the slots where a normal sized graphics card can fit but you will need to take the side off and look at the available slots to see if it can take a graphics card at all.

Jack-O-Bytes

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Which one of these eMachines ET1831 series desktops do you have?

ET1831-01

ET1831-03

ET1831-05

ET1831-07

Some say it has a PCI Express x16 slot and others say it has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. replay

replay

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. zhed

zhed Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast responses :D As for what version of the ET1831, I am unsure.
    From looking inside, I do have empty slots, like the photo, so I assume that I should look into buying a PCI-E graphics card and an ATX power supply.

9. zhed

zhed Thread Starter

I shall look into which version I have, it should say on the place I purchased it from.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the complete model number isn't embossed in the case, it should be on a sticker on the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. zhed

zhed Thread Starter

Hmm... it is in fact this:
    eMachine EX1831 Desktop, Celeron E3400 2.7GHz, 3GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, GeForce 7050, Windows 7 Home Premium
    Though the label on the side of pc definitely says ET1831.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is very nice when standard parts fit. That needs to always be a consideration when buying a new machine. That new globe-shaped or tiny machine may look good at first, but then if you need parts, you're stuck with the manufacturer. Sometimes upgrades like PSU's don't even exist.

Be happy.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  14. zhed

zhed Thread Starter

Yes, that is the one, it looks the same inside to the image posted by jack-o-bytes. Is there any way I can tell if it is 'PCI Express x16' slot or 'PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.'

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'll let Elvandil answer your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice