Graphics card power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zhed

Hi, I have a windows 7 PC (eMachines ET1831), it has an integrated graphics card:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i
Chip type: GeForce 7050 / nForce 620i
I am an amateur when it comes to computer hardware, but I am tired of playing games with very low graphics settings. I am hoping to be able to have smoother game-play with medium settings. So I'm looking for a budget upgrade (less than £65 ($100)), but my PC only has a 250W power supply.

Question: Will the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5450 work with only a 250W power supply?

Is is possible to simply upgrade a power supply like I would a graphics card?

Any help will be appreciated.

Any HD card needs a lot of power. I'd get a bigger PSU. They generally come in one standard model that fits all, but if yours is some "mini" version of machine, it may have special requirements.

But are you sure you have a slot for that card?

Having looked on google I have found some photos of that model computer and it looks like it can fit a standard ATX psu which is always a good thing to know. As for the graphics card the case has the slots where a normal sized graphics card can fit but you will need to take the side off and look at the available slots to see if it can take a graphics card at all.

Jack-O-Bytes

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Which one of these eMachines ET1831 series desktops do you have?

ET1831-01

ET1831-03

ET1831-05

ET1831-07

Some say it has a PCI Express x16 slot and others say it has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

zhed

Thanks for the fast responses :D As for what version of the ET1831, I am unsure.
From looking inside, I do have empty slots, like the photo, so I assume that I should look into buying a PCI-E graphics card and an ATX power supply.

zhed

I shall look into which version I have, it should say on the place I purchased it from.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I shall look into which version I have, it should say on the place I purchased it from.
If the complete model number isn't embossed in the case, it should be on a sticker on the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------

zhed

Hmm... it is in fact this:
eMachine EX1831 Desktop, Celeron E3400 2.7GHz, 3GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, GeForce 7050, Windows 7 Home Premium
Though the label on the side of pc definitely says ET1831.

It is very nice when standard parts fit. That needs to always be a consideration when buying a new machine. That new globe-shaped or tiny machine may look good at first, but then if you need parts, you're stuck with the manufacturer. Sometimes upgrades like PSU's don't even exist.

Be happy.

zhed

Yes, that is the one, it looks the same inside to the image posted by jack-o-bytes. Is there any way I can tell if it is 'PCI Express x16' slot or 'PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.'

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'll let Elvandil answer your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online