graphics card power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DonsRuleOK

It's My Birthday!
Hello

I have just purchased a new graphics card (XFX Geforce 7900GT) for my rig and as i was opening up the packaging last night I noticed it said 'connect the power dongle'.

This is my first PCI-E card and before I install it I wanted to know if I could use one of the standard power connectors (coming from the power supply within the rig, like those that I plug into a HDD or DVD drive) and plug that into the graphics card, or whether the card had to plug in somewhere else on the motherboard (though I don't know where).

Also - is this power connector optional or integral to the graphics card's performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You DEFINITELY need to use the power connector. It is not optional. That is a high-end card that needs alot of juice to run. Just plug in a spare Molex connector from your power supply (same type that goes into a CD drive or hard drive). If you don't have a spare connector, use the splitter (aka: dongle) that came with your card and run it from one of your other connectors.

BTW - enjoy that card!

Yes you do need to plug in a power connector to the card or it will not perform right. Any of the power connectors from the power supply that fit will be OK.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online