Graphics Card Prob . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Smety

Okey dokey, I got my buddy an eVGA 6800XT for christmas . . .

From the begining it worked fine, everything was great. Then when he played a little bit of CS:S it started getting buggy. His FPS was way above average and fine (the tester said aroudn 100 fps average!) so this is not the case. Also, the temperature is only about 53c, and its about 45c on idle and the core doesnt screw up till around 120c so we were fine their. But all these artifacts would show up, the game would be smooth, but there would be 'static lines everywhere' as said by him.

So I went over to check it out (thats how I found out all of the above stuff) and it's true, the game acutally runs beautiful, no lag or choppyness what-so-ever and I have no clue what the problem could be. There is literally lines going through the screen and pixels all weird and crap. I tried updating to 3 different drivers, nothing worked, I think the card may be defective.

Any ideas?

Happy Holidays :D

Is the temp you're referring to the video card's temp or the CPU temp? You should check both. Also, you may want to test the memory.. here's an easy one to try. http://www.memtest86.com/
Also make sure the chipset drivers and bios on the motherboard are up to date as well.
Do you know what kind of PSU he has? It could also be a lack of power to the card.

Smety

Alright thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, too late to do it right now lol

BTW- It's a 350 watt PSU which should be more than enough for a 6800XT

I have seen these lines you are talking about on my old P4SDX mobo with an SIS chipset. Changing AGP rate to 4x in the bios got rid of them for me.

Rukee

Banned
-=ZeroHour=- said:
Is the temp you're referring to the video card's temp or the CPU temp? You should check both. Also, you may want to test the memory.. here's an easy one to try. http://www.memtest86.com/
Also make sure the chipset drivers and bios on the motherboard are up to date as well.
Do you know what kind of PSU he has? It could also be a lack of power to the card.
get the memory test program from
http://www.memtest.org/
not the .com site
also try to used the 66.93 drivers, they seem to work the best with the 6800 series.

Smety

8dalejr.fan - I'll have him take a few and he can send them to me through AIM
ohgrant - It's PCI Express, not AGP
Rukee - Thanks for the drivers

I'll come back in a while, have to walk to his damn house . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online