1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card problem after upgrade

Discussion in 'Games' started by meriez, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meriez

meriez Thread Starter

Hello~

A few days ago, I upgraded my my old GTS 250 to a GTX 550ti and added 4 GBs of RAM as well. I opened up WoW to test it and noticed that it would go from around 60fps to around 10 in a 2-3 seconds span and go back up again(the game would be all jumpy). This would happen every few seconds. I deleted all the drivers, used Driver Sweeper, restarted computer and installed the latest driver again and the same thing would happen. Today I took the card out, along with all the ram, made sure that everything was installed correctly and put it back together again. I also re-installed the drivers a few times and updated my mobo's chipset and still the same thing is happening (this time with Skyrim so I guess it's not a patch or anything). It's fan is working and all the other fans/heatsink as well. I defragmented my computer as well even tho it didn't really need it.

My specs:
    XFX 750i sli mobo
    4x2GBs of DDR2 RAM (8GBs of RAM)
    intel core 2 quad q9400 @ 2.66 ghz processor
    Coolermaster cd 690 case
    Corsair power supply - 750 watts
    Thermaltake V1 heatsink

2. meriez

meriez Thread Starter

I even switched game settings to lowest and still have the same problem. I'm about to just put the old one again :[

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Adding RAM would not have made any difference in how well the graphics perform. Most of RAM over 4 GB's will not be used. Defragging won't, either.

But what about your power supply? Is it large enough? Is there a supplementary power connector on the card and if so, is it connected?

4. meriez

meriez Thread Starter

Oh I knew it wasn't going to improve graphic performance. I just thought it was worth mentioning, just in case. I honestly dunno if its large enough and nope, it didn't have a supplementary power connector.

5. meriez

meriez Thread Starter

Just noticed I said 650 watts - it's actually 750, sorry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026576