1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card problem - cannot start this device but when disable and enable it works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatracer, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thatracer

thatracer Thread Starter

hey guys,

sorry about the goofy title I was trying to get as much in as possible. I have recently built a custom system for music storage, gaming, and word processing....

I have been having tons of problems with this system! One of my ram sticks was bad (after I tried 2 different xp install disks I figured it was a hardware problem..), my netgear card isn't working or is just a P.O.S. and now my graphics card is giving me headaches.

The graphics card I am running is a EVGA 7600gs, 256mb - PCI express (it was a good deal at the time)...

When I boot up the computer and enter windows the graphics card doesn't work and I am running off the stock drivers from XP...

If I go to the device manager I get a "Device cannot start (code 10)" message.

After uninstalling and installing the drivers various times, and updating the drivers with new releases from Nvidia, its still not working properly.

It will work right after I install the drivers for it, but if I restart my computer, it won't work again.

I figured out that if I restart my computer and go to device manager and click "disable" and the click "enable" the graphics card works fine but won't allow me to adjust any settings for a few minutes or until after I run a game like Metal of Honor, or Battlefield.

Does anybody know what gives?

~mikeym

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Is there any Yellow or Red ! next to any devices in Device Manager? Is the cable to the monitor tight and without any bent pins? ANd have you installed all the drivers for the motherboard? Which would include the IDE, Network cards and USB,etc?

3. thatracer

thatracer Thread Starter

There is a yellow (!) next to the device.

I have installed the drivers for the motherboard, but will reinstall them when I get my ram back next week.

The cable to the monitor is relatively tight, bent pins? Doubt it, but its a possibility. That shouldn't cause the problems I'm seeing however.

This is a mobo without intergrated graphics

~mikeym

4. thatracer

thatracer Thread Starter

well...

got my ram back... no dice as far as getting the graphics card to work all the time.

i don't quite get it. I had thought that enabling and disabling the graphics card would work all the time... but it doesn't.

I removed everything and reinstalled the chipset drivers and graphics card... no dice

I removed everything and used a driver cleaner and reinstalled both sets of drivers... no dice

I'm still getting a "Code 10"

So I did the enable/disable like 5 times in a row... and finally it worked...

but if i restart the computer i will get a "this device cannot start" and i will be at square one again...

what gives?

5. lefty1953

lefty1953

Try reseating the card and make sure you clean the gold contacts before putting it back in. Don't touch them with your fingers though.

6. thatracer

thatracer Thread Starter

i'll give that a shot after dinner lefty...

is there a chance I screwed something up on the card or board? It was seated wrong for awhile until I figured out the problem... and now its seated fine, but i will reseat it again.

clean the contacts with alchohol?

~mikeym

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice