1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foxxer50, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foxxer50

Foxxer50 Thread Starter

first time question, so here it goes. i play WoW i have a older dell system that still works great even playing warcraft. i'm running geforce 8400 gs card which was over heating due to a bad fan which has died (R.I.P.) I'm now trying to replace old card with new one which i cant seem to find. my card is 512mb DDR2 but the only one i can find so far is a 8400gs 1GB DDR3 can i use this one instead, granted the card still works without the fan untill it starts to get to hot then starts to lag to much. no problems even when wife plays downloaded games. not alot of money in budget to upgrade computer or hardware at this time, can anyone help.Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238368 MB, Free - 55127 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc, 0CT103
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Blu_86

Blu_86

Hey foxxer. You are not limited to a 8400 series card, though the power supply that came with your system will limit the power of card you can buy, and most of them are on ebay. but newegg.com also has a few cards that would for your system just fine, and the passive heat sink would work well. Here is the one I would suggest for that older system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4150659&cm_re=AMD_5450-_-14-150-659-_-Product

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have an old Dell Dimension E521 desktop which comes with a 305 watt power supply.

The GeForce 8400 GS is one of the worse graphics cards that you can use for gaming.

You need a better graphics card, but you're going to be limited by the power supply in that desktop.

---------------------------------------------------

4. Blu_86

Blu_86

^ I think he does light gaming and might be simply looking for an equivalent replacement.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You CAN get replacement fans off the bay you know!!! I have a drawer full of the things from old dead cards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice