1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JBMysinger, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JBMysinger

JBMysinger Thread Starter

Last night, my son was playing a game on my Dell computer when the monitor went on standby. The computer has an HD Radeon 3450 graphics card. I restarted the computer, which started fine, but the monitor did not come on. I unplugged the cable running to the monitor and plugged it in to the onboard graphics driver and the monitor came on. I have removed and reinstalled the graphics card but continue to have the same problem. The fan continues to work on the card when the computer is turned on. Is the Radeon graphics card dead? The computer came with the card and is only two years old. I need to know whether I need to replace the graphics card or is there another solution?

Thanks,

Jason

2. fel1x

fel1x

no its dead , the fan may still turn even if the chip is fried that one is very cheap though and may still be worth a few pounds on ebay for someone who may have chips

3. JBMysinger

Thanks for your quick reply! I figured it was dead. Can you recommend another graphics card? My system can support up to a 1GB card with 350 watts.

Thanks!

4. fel1x

fel1x

need your full computer specs for that , best advise would be get the best you can afford which matches your mobo especially your psu and cables

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Any graphics card upgrade will likely need a power supply upgrade aswell. Also consider that Dell have a nasty habit of using non-standard size parts, so another 'off the shelf' power supply may not fit in your case!

If it is a mini or midi tower then you may also have space problems inside the case and may have to look for slimline cards.

Can you give us the exact make and model of the machine, preferably post its Dell Service Tag number so we can find exactly the right one, that way we can better advise.

6. JBMysinger

Hey Guys,

My Dell Service Tag # is 93PT3J1. It is a Studio Desktop with Intel Core 2 Quad processor and 6GB of RAM that had a ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB card in it. I have no problem with purchasing a new power supply as I've found there not too expensive.

Are there any advantages to going with Nvidia over Radeon? I would like to spend no more than $120 on a card.

Thanks for your help!

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Ok, looking at your system specs it says the 3450 is a full height card, so you should have space for a non slimline replacement (although always worth checking the cards measurements to be sure before you buy).

I can't see anything specific about the power supply, so the easiest way to see if it is an ATX (industry standard) unit is to measure it. A standard ATX powersupply will be 6 x 3.5 x 5.5 inches (if I remember correctly).

A $120 budget is going to limit you a bit if you need to get a PSU aswell as that is always something worth spending a little bit on, remember every part of the PC relies on that one single unit. You wil probably want something around 500w but will depend on the graphics card you go for to a degree, I would buy a quality unit made by someone like Corsair, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ for example.

I personally prefer NVidia but there are very good ATI cards out there aswell (some better, some worse than their NVidia counterparts).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice