1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rabbitman, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rabbitman

Rabbitman Thread Starter

I bought a new ATI Radeon x1650 PRO graphics card, to upgrade from my current nVidia GeForce FX 5200. Both use an AGP8x slot. I took the nvidia card out..plugged the ATI one in. Everything fit fine..But when i went to turn on my computer, the screen had a bunch of trippy colors and thats all i saw. I checked monitor and everything, it was all plugged in right. I attempted starting the computer back up again with the old card, worked fine. Uninstalled the old card's drivers since i forgot to do that the first time, and turned off the PC. I put the ATI card back in...the exact same thing happened. I repeated this again, this time installing the ATI drivers before i even put in the new card. Rebooted with new card in...same problem still.

Relevant specs:
    MSI Mainboard
    Windows XP Home
    768 MB Ram
    Pentium 4 Processor. (2.4GHZ)

Any ideas?

2. Flags

Flags

What wattage is your PSU?

3. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

how did you uninstall the old card drivers?

4. Rabbitman

Rabbitman Thread Starter

PSU...power supply? i have no idea. How could I check?

And to uninstall i just went to add/remove programs and uninstalled the geforce driver.

5. r3drock3t88

r3drock3t88

the power supply you can check on the actual box itself. just simply open your computer up and it will tell you the wattage.

Now, since you're saying that your video cards drivers and all are installed correctly but the display is all funky, do these steps for us...

My Computer >> Control Panel >> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager
    Once there, click the little '+' sign next to Display Adapters ... That is where your video card will be displayed, if you see a yellow '?' mark next to anything there, then your video card is not installed correctly. Thats a simple way you can check to see if it is indeed installed correctly. Let us know what you find out from that

6. Rabbitman

Rabbitman Thread Starter

its not displaying anything for any sort of video adaptors, ive already uninstalled everything.
    Keep in mind, im using the old geforce to even view this..not the new card.

7. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

can you try the card in a different computer?

I'm thinking it could be 2 things:
    1. the card is bad
    2. the psu can't fully power the card

although #2 is usually seen while gaming there is a chance that your power supply is so bad that it won't power the card at all.
    Even with conflicting windows drivers you should still see the BIOS screen.
    Also, does your system post?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice