1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card recommended

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC's graphics capabilities. I'm currently using integrated Geforce 6150 - running at 128MB on Vista and 256MB on XP.
    I want to move away from integration by purchasing a PCI-e card - about 256MB minimum, but one that will complement my existing setup:

AMD Athlon 64 +3500 running at 2.21GHz
    1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM
    Dual boot system - Windows Vista Home edition and Windows XP pro SP2

If anyone can help me choose a good card for my system that will be much appreciated.
    There's just too many cards out there to decide what's best, which is why I turn to the experts on here!!

ps: I don't have any extra connections for extra power for topend cards
    pps: I am VERY familiar with nVidia GPU's and find them easy to tweak (I'm unfamiliar with other makes)

THANKS!!

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

What is your price range ? What is your power supply watts?

3. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Well you basically have 2 to choose from, nvidia and ati.

You've got a fairly decent mobo with a pci-e x 16 slot which is good. I would recommend going for at least a mid range video card, but preferrably a higher end, even an older one like the x1950 series (ati). They are good performers and relatively cheap because new cards have come out. They require about a 450 watt power supply.

4. jackdw

jackdw

I'm surprised Vista works on a built in graphics chip.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The NVidia Geforce 6100/6150 integrated graphics should have no problem with Vista or the Aero interface, it is a decent Directx 9.0c GPU and can use 128 or 256MB of memory. Now for gaming its not very good and a PCI-Express Geforce 7xxx or 8xxx series card will be better.

7. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Frankjohn:
    As cheap as possible - lol. Something around £40GBP which at present looks to be around $100USD
    Power supply is (I think) 400W

Jackdw:
    You're obviously not used to computers!!! j/k
    The Vista runs sweetly - the integrated gfx runs with an nvidia chipset built into the mobo - so it's highly reliable - as stated in a post further down from yours.

Triple 6:

Quite right - I do struggle with more intense games like Doom 3 and Quake 4, so to play those game in particular I need a separate card - the gfx chip does seen to get a wee bit hot!!!

I have looked at the geforce 7300 GTS(?) and a few Geforce 8xxx series - I think I may be pushing it (PSU wise) with a series 8 though!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 7300GTS is a low end card, not intended for the games you mention. I'd be looking at a Geforce 7600 and higher, or a Geforce 8600 and higher.

9. jackdw

jackdw

Mooser, yes I am wrong. I forgot my laptop has Vista... Hmmm, must have been half asleep when I made that post.

But for games you will need a proper card.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice