1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card requirement

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobkupfer, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobkupfer

bobkupfer Thread Starter

When I bought my computer I made sure I got an AGP graphics card because I knew I wanted to play games.

My sister just bought a new computer and she probably didn't.

I have a 32mb agp graphics card. I believe she has 64 mb of onboard video. Can she play games that say they need an "agp graphics card" with 32 mb of video ram? I'm just wondering if she doesn't have an agp graphics card can she not play any game that has that as a requirement even though she has more than enough video memory.

I just want to know whether I can recommend games for her to buy, if she will be able to play them.

thank you very much,
    Robert Kupferer

2. Maggz

Maggz

with 64mb of memory you wont be able to play much smooth anyways but most games will run. but as for requiring AGP ive never seen that on any box requirements normally it just requires certain builds like a GeForce3+ or a Readon series card to run.

3. colman77

colman77

I have seen AGP required before...
    Different games use video adapters differently...Some need a fat pipe (like agp) to the card/memory and not so much RAM, others don't need a fat pipe but require a lot of memory.
    As far as using your sister's computer for games...the onboard video is probably pretty slow, and won't work well for any newer games... I bet the games that you can run on your computer would work on hers, though.
    What brand/model computer did your sister get?

4. flyeater

flyeater

Integrated graphics rely on system resources to render images. Although "onboard" video does have a chip on the motherboard it still needs to use some of the CPU & Ram resources. Due to the difference in architecture with hardware accelerated graphics the integrated graphics will tend to bog down in software running todays game engines.
    Hardware accelerated video such as Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) video uses a dedicated high speed bus to render 3d images. It may have up to 256mb of dedicated memory and it's own GPU. Not only does it work more efficiently then "borrowing" from system resources it can do it much faster.
    A 64mb video card can run most released games. Game developers are very cognizant of the masses video capability and still factor them into todays games. Sure it won't look as good as the bleeding edge cards. One thing I've discovered is not to waste your money on the latest and greatest. You can get that four hundred dollar video card this summer for two hundred.
    If AGP isn't an option consider a Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) video card. The PCI video cards bus speed is considerably slower then an AGP but still superior to integrated graphics. Unfortunately PCI cards can be tough to find and a little expensive then it's AGP counterpart.

5. bobkupfer

bobkupfer Thread Starter

Dear Colman77,
    She got a gateway. I'm assuming she bought the one they always have on sale and wouldn't upgrade to get a motherboard with an AGP port. I can still play a lot of games with my nvidia tnt2 64 with 32mb of ram. I haven't bought very many games anyway, but I think it was a good choice back 3 years ago, has stood the test of time pretty well.

6. McTimson

McTimson

It depends on which onboard graphics it is...if it's the Intel Extreme stuff, then I would say no....if it's quality onboard graphics, like the nForce2 chip, or ATI's, then it might be able to.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice