1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Stopped Working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KHowe, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KHowe

KHowe Thread Starter

I've purchased an nVidea GeForce 7600GT graphics card about a year ago, and installed it on the Gateway PC I purchased about the same time. The graphics card was recommended to me by a friend, and I couldn't be happier with it for the money I paid. However, I let me Uncle use my computer, just to check his mail then he shut it off, and the monitor was no longer getting a signal from the graphics card. I unplugged the monitor input cable from the nVidea card, and plugged it into the original graphics slot that the computer came with, and everything works fine. I don't believe he did anything, it was just bad luck he was the last one to use it. After my mother used it, same problem. Frustrating that it wasn't me. I finally got it running after taking the cover off and just pushing it in a little more (though it didn't feel loose, so I suppose I didn't really do anything). It worked fine for a day, and again I had no signal! :mad: I jiggled the port in the back a bit and somehow that fixed it. Now, it has once again stopped.

I haven't owned the graphics card but a year, and I don't believe it is of a cheap quality that it would suddenly stop working. I've tried installing the latest drivers incase that was the cause, but to no avail. Does anyone know a reason why this would be happening? Thank you very much for the support, and I apologize for the length of the post.

2. Flags

Flags

I jiggled the port in the back a bit and somehow that fixed it. Now, it has once again stopped.

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere in the connector. Look very carefully at those connectors to make sure there are no bent or broken pins.

3. KHowe

KHowe Thread Starter

It worked for a while, then suddenly stopped working again. I can plug it into my Gateway graphics card and it works fine. There are no bent pins on the adapter.

4. Flags

Flags

If it works in your onboard card, then likely your cord is OK. That would indicate that the problem is with the 7600GTcard itself.
    Check in Device Manager to see if the card is even listed.
    If there is a yellow ? mark for Video there, you probably need a driver.

5. KHowe

KHowe Thread Starter

I start up the computer and I get no signal to the monitor. The thing is, it was plugged into the Gateway graphics card. By chance, I figure I'll try it into the nVidea, and sure enough it works. I'm really not sure what to do at this point..

6. Flags

Flags

Leave it alone and keep your fingers crossed.
    I think you fixed it when you reseated the card.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice