Graphics Card Trouble

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browneyedgrrrrl

I bought a new Gateway GT5408 and added a PNY nVidia 7600 GS 512 MB video card. I used a Chiefmax ATX Switching Power Supply (550W) to run the card. Now, here's my problem: Every time I try to play a game with higher-end graphics, like Obliivion or Sims 2, my graphics card will freeze up. I will get little lines in the picture, the picture freezes, and eventually, the card just shuts down. My monitor will go off and I will be left with no other option than to turn off the computer and restart it. I have contacted PNY (a test of patience in and of itself) and they seem to think the card is faulty. Since it was much easier to do so, I returned the graphics card to where I bought it and got another one. It does the exact same thing. I have downloaded the newest drivers, so that's not the problem. Could I have another faulty card, or is it possibly an issue with the type of power supply I got? I'm frustrated as I can get. Can someone please advise me as to what the problem could be?

Hi...

I can come with two thoughts. First do as you suggest and check your power supply. Borrow another one and give it a try (Try to get one with similar power) .

I don't thing both cards are faulty! Well no one knows but we have to go by common sense. Maybe your card is not fully compatible with the mobo. BIOS updates usually correct stuff like that. Try a BIOS update using extreme care as it can damage your mobo if something goes wrong.

Maybe the mobo's PCI-X interface is faulty...That's bad news but it is a possibility.

Did you overclock your card or tried to unlock pipelines by using apps like RivaTuner?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.