1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card turns on, no display.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HelpMePrettyPlease, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelpMePrettyPlease

HelpMePrettyPlease Thread Starter

specs

CPU:: I7 3770 3.40 GHz
    Motherboard: Aspire MC605
    Ram: Normal 6GB
    SSD/HDD: 1 TB
    GPU (the one that I have the problem with) GTX 570
    GPU (the old one) GT 620
    PSU: INSIGNIA 525 watts (BRAND NEW)
    Chassis: Aspire TC
    Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM

Problem:

GPU turns on but does not display anything just a black screen, but it gives me the option to select the HDMI option, meaning the pc detects the GPU but just doesn't display anything.

What I Have Tried Doing:

1. placing it properly in properly, have done that at least 20 times

2. Check If the two 6 pin connectors are plucked in

3. turn off secure boot in bios

4. using a different HDMI cable/ different monitor (even though it works on everything I have used it on)

5. Deleted the old GPU drivers and rebooted into safe mode, with DDU.

6. updating bios

PLEASE DONT SAY THE MY PSU DOESNT HAVE THE REQUIRED WATTS SINCE THE CARD ONLY USES AROUND 219 MAXIMUM WATTS AND THE REST OF MY BUILD ONLY USES AROUND 180

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Do you see any video output? ie: Post Info, Windows splash screen, etc.

If you can't see the post info or BIOS, then it's a hardware issue. And just because a PC "turns on", doesn't mean that it's actually running or booting properly. No video output would typically indicate the system is stuck in POST and never reached the stage where there is video output.

As for power supplies, the rating (in this case 525), is the maximum amount it can supply. You never want to use this much. Ideally, you don't want to exceed 70%. Also, not all brands can properly meet their branded rating. Quality (ie: clean and consistent) power is more important than the rating. A quality smaller rated unit is preferable over a cheap higher rated unit that can't supply clean power. So a quality (Tier 1) is the best option. I don't know if that's the issue or not, but since you brought it up, I decided to share the info.

Power Supply basics: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html

Tiers: https://www.besthostingpro.com/understanding-psu-tiers-updated-list/

3. HelpMePrettyPlease

HelpMePrettyPlease Thread Starter

I don't see any video outputs, but when I select the modes such as HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 and VGA, it shows the
    the option to select HDMI 1.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Explain how you can select modes when there is no video. How you you see these choices?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice