1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steadyeddie, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm looking to upgrade my sons PC because the crappy onboard SiS 64mb graphics wont run GTA San Andreas.
    As far as I am aware it is AGP 8x.
    I'm looking for something cheap and cheerful to run this game and maybe a few other similar games he plays.
    Would something like http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/104734 be suitable?
    Any others to recommend in the £20-30 range?
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi!
    Could you please inform us about your full system specs( CPU,RAM,motherboard) etc?
    It is possible that your computer can upgrade to a better Graphics card if it is powerfull enough. In that case you should go for a better one as the 6200 will play San Andreas at minimum settings but it won't be enough for many other games. You may need extra upgrades later. If your computer is not powerfull enough or if you really don't want to give the extra money we should check for alternatives! :)

3. steadyeddie

Hi Mosquito
    The system is less than a year old.
    It's a Pentium4 3.06ghz, 1GB RAM, SiS 661fx/gx 64mb Mirage graphics.
    The motherboard I think is an Acer E661 GXM, Bios Phoenix Tech. R01-C3.
    It states AGP version 3, 8x.
    I'm not really looking to spend much more than £30 as he doesnt play that many games.
    Is the 6200 the right type of card i'm looking for?
    Thanks
    Jeff

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi again...

If you own a Dell computer you should check this thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/589620-overclocking-question.html

Your machine is good enough but the 6200 is not a gaming solution. It will not last in the future and you may need to upgrade again in less than a year...It is in my opinion of no worth buying it as it won't give any real boost in gaming performance. I mean, yes it is better than the onboard you currently have but not much better! Even if your son doesn't play many games I believe that any money we have to spend must be well spent!

Your son will like to play some other newer game in time and the 6200 won't play it good - It may not play it at all! You should check for one of the following cards - They are cheap usually, I've even found some of them around 60-70Euros (sorry I'm not good in currency conversions:) ). The first ones are the cheaper - slower models, prices go up as you procced. Some of the cards can't be called budget but I included them so you can get a more detailed picture.

NVIDIA GeForce:
    6600GT
    7600GS
    7600GT
    7800GS

ATI Radeon:
    X800 series
    X1600XT
    X1650PRO
    X1650XT
    X1900 series

You could also check the 7300 or X1300 series. They are not great cards but they are cheap and far more better than the 6200 (BTW the 6200 is almost a 3years old card)

The best option for you should be in my opinion any 7600 or x1650 card. Make sure you pick an AGP version! Hope I was helpfull for you, if you have any questions please post back!

5. Compiler

Compiler

The 6200 would be minimal... far better than the SIS-IGP... but as you said "cheap and cheerful to run this game and maybe a few other similar games he plays" - so you don't need something like the 8800GTX... Being that its AGP, it means it'll cost you more money and have for more limits. Your computer is more than a year old, no company builds AGP systems for 2 years unless by customer request.

Anyways... the 6600 maybe only 10pounds more if you can find one. The cheapest thing I can find on that site with AGP that I would recommend:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119716 = £45.65 For 10 more, its double that:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/127243 = £55.93

For your budget and goals, get the 7600gs... here is a comparision:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2006.html?modelx=33&model1=542&model2=531&chart=196 (7600gs and 6200 are both blue... at and near the bottom)

But as you see... any 6600 card will work very well - but may cost about the same as the 7600gs.

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Sorry to post again so fast but Compiler a 6200 can be directly compared with a Radeon 9600 or 9600SE. I used to own one of them and I couldn't play San Andreas with anything better than low-medium graphics...I tried to speak in practical and no technical terms when I said that he won't see much difference between the SiS and the 6200.

Also we do not know which those similar games are...He may want to play a similar game in style, not in system requirements;) !

Keep in mind that the 6200 uses TurboCache a technology that allows the card to use system RAM if it's own is not enough...BAD BAD BAD in most cases! (n)

Any 7600 will make it in the future, it's an investment for his P4 based machine and his needs! (y)

7. steadyeddie

Mosquito & Compiler
    Thank you both very much for your excellent and informative replies, I have a far better idea of what I now require.
    Looks like I will have to put in a little extra overtime if I am to meet my sons needs though!!.
    Jeff

8. Compiler

Compiler

His system is a P4 with an AGP slot.... which means it doesn't use TurboCache.

I used to play SA on my ATI 9800Pro, max details in 1280x1024... it plays nicer on my 7600GT... of course.

But we agree... the 6200 will not cut it....

9. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

To SteadyEddie :
    -Glad we were able to help! Going for a better card will keep your kid happy
    for the next years too, it's not a temporary solution but a long term one!:)

To Compiler:
    -Correct about TurboCahce, sorry for the misunderstanding!:eek:

-You had an 9800Pro not a simple 9600...Will Oblivion run the same at my 7600GS compared to an 7800 or better? ;)

-Eddie agreed too and that's good news mate! Especially for his kid!:) (y)

10. Compiler

Compiler

No problem... It'll be worth it to both of you... Playing such a well made game with LOW graphics detail with gittery movements = not fun.

11. Compiler

Compiler

12. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice