Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphics card updating

769 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I need to upgrade my video card, but im not sure which video cards are compatible. :(

Ive got 140$ to spend on the new graphics card, and i also got a person who can sell me a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 / 810MHz / 1GB DDR5 for 100$ which is a little cheaper than the market price here (140$) but i dont know if its compatible or not ...

So i need some advise on what i can do, my specs are below

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

System Model
WC830AA-AB9 CQ5310PT

Processor
2,70 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 215
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

RAM
4GB DDR3

Drives
500,00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
290,18 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Multi Flash Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
SAMSUNG HD502HJ SCSI Disk Device (500,11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S27FJ9GZ204072, SMART

Memory Modules
3840 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB

Display
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 [Display adapter]

Main Circuit Board
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

Controllers
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (2x)

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario CQ5310PT desktop.

According to its product specifications section, it has a PCI Express x16 slot for upgrading to a video card, and it has a 300 watt power supply.

That means you're going to need to get a video card that connects to a PCI Express x16 slot and doesn't require more power than that power supply can handle.

Unless you plan to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply, my recommendation would be a video card that has no more than 512 MB of dedicated video memory and that has a heat sink instead of a cooling fan.

If you're planning to do hard-core gaming and need a high-end video card, that power supply likely won't do the job.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I was just searching info about power supplies and i guess mines really outdated, for as much as 18$ there are 500w supply's :D

How much power supply would be optimal for a 1gb video card?

Ill get a supply an the vid card, being PCI Express x16 means that i cant install a 2.0 in my sistem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.