Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphics card upgrade and power supply upgrade

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  austins211 
#1 ·
i've been playing world of warcraft for about a month now and i have it on the lowest possible settings and at800x600 resolution and i'm still getting like 20 fps i want to up the settings on the game to good instead of low and have about atleast 30 fps in raids with 25 other players and when i'm alone questing have like 50 to 60
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model p6754y
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6.04, 9/7/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 893 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.95 GB
I have a radeon hd 4200
so i want to upgrade it to be able to play with atleast 30 fps but i want to spend as little as i can 170 max for both and the less i spend the better if anyone can help would be great

See less See more
#2 ·
For confirmation, is this your PC?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&docname=c02628380

If it is, then I would say the following:

1) Double check the dimensions of your existing power supply to see if it is an ATX standard size. I have an HP machine with what looks like the same case and that will take a standard ATX PSU (I have upgraded mine with an 850w OCZ unit). Have a look here for ATX standard dimensions and wiring info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

2) Check what space you have in the case to support a full size graphics card. Again, I have full size card in mine, its a little snug but it does fit and it runs fine on stock cooling.

3) You say your budget is 170 ... 170 what? I am assuming USD as the machine appears to be sold in US and Canada? You may be limited in the way of a graphics card and decent PSU for that much, but we can help and advise there.

4) It looks like you have 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium so I would also suggest considering increasing your RAM to 8Gb.

#3 ·
I agree with Shane.

You're running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with only 4 GB of RAM.

That HP Pavilion p6754y desktop supports up to 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of RAM.

I would add another 4 GB or max it out with 16 GB before attempting the power supply/graphics card upgrade.

Having more RAM may resolve your gaming issue.

---------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
You may be somewhat disappointed after spending the money on a high end video card and pw supply. Your system has a low end processor with limited cache; you will in effect be somewhat throttled by the cpu.

You will get better performance with a high end video card however it may not be all that you expect.

#7 ·
The cx line from corsair is NOT designed for gaming. It is ok for a basic build ie running onboard video, email, etc. It is NOT ok for any type of gaming or other stressful endeavor. Even corsair says it is for a basic build;
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/cx-series

Corsair does not mfg their pw supplies. The high end ones [hx, tx, ax] are mfg by seasonic [make of high end stuff] The cx line is mfg by ctw [maker of oem type stuff] In short, you purchase a cx pw supply and you have the equivalent of a dell or hp pw supply.

As I said before, while a video card upgrade would give you some performance boost, you still have a low end or budget cpu. In short you should see some improvement however you may not get the performance you expect.

#10 ·
crjdriver does make a very valid point that I didn't mention. With a GPU upgrade it may be limited by your CPU, it will still give you a performance boost but perhaps not to the full capability of the card (dependant on which GPU you get).

Looking here your CPU rates in the higer mid range CPU list based on simple benchmark performance, so its not the best but not all that bad either.

For comparison, I my HP machine is running a 1st generation Core i5 (cant remember exactly which one) currently with a GTX570 graphics card and I can run WoW comfortably on Ultra setting at 1920x1080 resolution. If it gets really hectic I may dip down to 50fps or just under, normally much higher. I have also run it with a GTX470 and GTX460 with no problems.

I am not sure about ATI cards as I haven't used any for many years, but for NVidia most cards of x50 or above should be OK for WoW at a minimum of 30fps. A friend of mine had a higher spec machine but running a GTX650ti and he got a fairly steady 50-60fps on ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.