Graphics card upgrade help needed

iMarkeh

Hi there, basically I got a GeForce GTX 1050 last Christmas but I am trying to play some games, this card isn't enough and I have been advised perhaps get the GTX 1050TI (But I have also looked at the 1650. I firstly would like to know would the GTX 1050TI or 1650 actually be that much better? If so, why is the sale lower than the GTX 1050? is there a catch?

Secondly, will it be compatible with my computer? It has been mentioned to me previously that I can only upgrade my graphics card so far without having to possibly upgrade the rest of my computer as higher graphics cards need more power and stuff. Unsure if it matters but I use HDMI to link from my graphics card to my monitor and my monitor is an ACER G246HL.

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.

Current graphics card:
www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1050-AERO-ITX-OCV1/dp/B074S59QKW/

The ones I am looking at (Which would be better?:
www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GTX1050TIAEROITX4GOCV1-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B073WGWCDC/
www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-ITX-OC-4G-Graphics/dp/B07QMT923Q/

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191218114601.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (336 GB Free); H: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85-HD3, ver x.x, s/n CM012365-001
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver cmscom - 1072009, s/n CM012365-001
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191218114601.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (336 GB Free); H: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85-HD3, ver x.x, s/n CM012365-001
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver cmscom - 1072009, s/n CM012365-001
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
These are the performance scores and power usage for the processor and graphics card that's currently in your computer.

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

These are the performance scores and power usage of the graphics cards that you're considering upgrading to

gpu2.JPG

gpu3.JPG

They are better performing graphics cards, but the original graphics card is already handicapped by the performance of the processor.

Upgrading to a better performing processor and adding another 8 GB of RAM and switching from a hard disk drive(HDD) to a solid state drive(SSD) is what you need for a quality gaming experience.

THIS is the supported list of processors for the motherboard in your computer.

---------------------------------------------------

iMarkeh

These are the performance scores and power usage for the processor and graphics card that's currently in your computer.

View attachment 281910

View attachment 281911

These are the performance scores and power usage of the graphics cards that you're considering upgrading to

View attachment 281912

View attachment 281913

They are better performing graphics cards, but the original graphics card is already handicapped by the performance of the processor.

Upgrading to a better performing processor and adding another 8 GB of RAM and switching from a hard disk drive(HDD) to a solid state drive(SSD) is what you need for a quality gaming experience.

THIS is the supported list of processors for the motherboard in your computer.

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Can you just confirm that any graphics card upgrade would do basically nothing then and I need to focus on the processor?
If so, which one would be an upgrade and how do I go about buying one as I have searched a few of the models on Amazon and can't find anything.

Does RAM need upgrading with the processor or can that be done standalone? If so, how can I upgrade that.

I am not very good at upgrades.

Thank you again for your help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Yep. That's what I was trying to tell you. There's no point in upgrading the current graphics card with the current processor in use. It would be a wasted effort and a waste of money.

There are several 4th generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors that you can upgrade to that are better performing, so you need to decide which one you want. And even if you select one, it's a difficult job for someone who's not experienced in doing it. I've been using computers for 23 years and have upgraded parts in several of them, but even I wouldn't try to upgrade a processor.

Depending on where you live and what your financial situation is, you might consider buying a refurbished/reconditioned computer which has the processor and other hardware you need for quality gaming.

iMarkeh

Yep. That's what I was trying to tell you. There's no point in upgrading the current graphics card with the current processor in use. It would be a wasted effort and a waste of money.

There are several 4th generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors that you can upgrade to that are better performing, so you need to decide which one you want. And even if you select one, it's a difficult job for someone who's not experienced in doing it. I've been using computers for 23 years and have upgraded parts in several of them, but even I wouldn't try to upgrade a processor.

Depending on where you live and what your financial situation is, you might consider buying a refurbished/reconditioned computer which has the processor and other hardware you need for quality gaming.

Thank you for your help.

Would buying more RAM do anything?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Adding another 8 GB and running your computer with 16 GB might help, but I can't guarantee that.
It all depends on how RAM hungry your games are.
Personally, none of my minitower computers have less than 16 GB of RAM.

Before you buy and play a particular game, you should go to its website first and see what the "recommended system requirements" are.
Or do a search for "(name of game) recommended system requirements".

--------------------------------------------------

iMarkeh

Adding another 8 GB and running your computer with 16 GB might help, but I can't guarantee that.
It all depends on how RAM hungry your games are.
Personally, none of my minitower computers have less than 16 GB of RAM.

Before you buy and play a particular game, you should go to its website first and see what the "recommended system requirements" are.
Or do a search for "(name of game) recommended system requirements".

If it's a risky one, I think I may just leave it as I don't want to spend money on RAM if I actually new computer. In which case, I have to ask about that.

Is AMD Ryzen as good compared to like Intel I7? I know there are differences and I am comparing using a processor comparison site but on the whole, are they the same when it comes to gaming if you can find a chip the same? Also, would I be looking for more cores, base frequency or max turbo speed? I found that AMD Rayzon 3 for example was normally 4 core (like my current processor) but was 3.6Ghz (is that much of an improvement) and 3.9 turbo speed (an increase of 0.6ghz)
Secondly storage seems to keep popping up. A lot of the <£600 gaming PCs seem to be offering 1TB HDD storage but upon looking online, SSD is better. The storage seeming to be offered by SSD though much lower, around 1/4 of that from HDD. Keeping this in mind, what is better for me to look at getting. Higher storage on HDD or lower storage but apparently much faster SSD?

Thank you for your ongoing support.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm a 4th generation Intel processor user and know absolutely nothing about AMD Ryzen processors, so I can't comment on them.

If you have a choice between a HDD and a SSD, definitely go with a SSD.
I converted all my Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers from HDD's to SSD's, and the difference in speed and snappiness is very noticeable.

iMarkeh

I'm a 4th generation Intel processor user and know absolutely nothing about AMD Ryzen processors, so I can't comment on them.

If you have a choice between a HDD and a SSD, definitely go with a SSD.
I converted all my Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers from HDD's to SSD's, and the difference in speed and snappiness is very noticeable.

Thank you. I will bear that in mind when looking for my new computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online