1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Upgrade - Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheJ3, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheJ3

TheJ3 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I got a new job so I can afford to upgrade my computer finally. I have recently upgraded to a 4 core cpu which I love so much! Better then a two core. Any ways, on topic, I have a ATI Radeon 3200, if you read my post before, most likely not because it was long time ago, but I'd like to upgrade to the ATI Radeon 5670. I found out I have a PCI express x16 slot so it will handle it. But I'm confused by the watts. My power supply gives me the measurements in volts, 100-127v, 50/60Hz, it is a ATXO300DSWB power supply. I couldn't find my graphics card specs anywhere.. not even on AMD's website. But compared to the 3400, I'm guessing it is about 400-550 watts, since the 3400 requires 550 watts.

[EDIT] Upon more research, I found out my current graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD 3200, is an onboard graphics card. Will I still be able to upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you!
    TheJ3

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Usually the product model of a power supply contains
    the power rating of the power supply.
    Usually,not always.
    From you model I would guess it is only 300 watts.
    Going to need to upgrade that.
    Get something like a corsair,OCZ,antec or something
    similar of good quality.
    Probably want at least 600 watts.
    Im assuming you have a standard ATX case.
    You can add the video card to the pci express X16 slot and more than
    likely disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup.

3. TheJ3

TheJ3 Thread Starter

Really? I love this site, I've learned so much here. Thank you very much, so any power supply should work? Alright I'll invest into them.

I was looking at an Antec Basiq BP550Plus Power supply - 550 Watt, for $63. I thought it was fair price for a 550 watt, compared to the others.

[EDIT] IDK it is pretty much a standard medium dell tower. But a "standard ATX" tower search on Google, yeah I suppose it could be classified under the same group.

[​IMG]

[EDIT] Also I found a Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply on Newegg for $70 on sale. Which is a great deal I think.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You will want to double check and make sure
    that dell didn't use a proprietarty power supply in it.
    They used their own wiring layout in the past but
    have been moving away from that lately.
    Also look at the back of the case and make sure it
    is actually cut out for a standard power supply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016643