1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MuttonBandit, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MuttonBandit

MuttonBandit Thread Starter

Hi,
    Basically I'm looking to upgrade my PC's graphics card, and I'm totally new to it all.
    I am however aware of the fact that for some strange reason, the novatech "gaming" PC I bought, the iFlame Pro, comes with an intergrated graphics card, the Intel HD Family. This is the PC
    And this is my DXDIAG (I have no idea what part so take it all!)

Basically I want to know if I can upgrade, and what products I would be looking at, and even a recommendation for an optimal not expensive/quality card.

Also, if you need any other information just ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

It would be nice to know the Power Supply in that PC as there are no specs on that page as it has been discontinued.

But the the question is what games do you want to play?

3. MuttonBandit

Basically, I'll be looking to play newer games, not particularly bothered on running everything on top quality. But I do have The Witcher and GTA IV among others sitting in my Steam Library practically untouched because of my graphics card, being mostly unsupported across the board. Also, ARMA 2 looks like crap, and runs at 15 FPS on a good day. So just all current, and near future games.

4. Megabite

Megabite

OK checked a bit and I think there is only a 350 wattage power supply in that PC and if so you would need to replace that for a higher one say 650 wattage.

But you would have to check on that to be sure whats in it.

I have the GTX 550Ti video card which is good and runs mostly anything...but the GTX 560 Ti is better.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

6. MuttonBandit

The problem is, the graphics card in there at the moment is intergrated, so do I have to buy a specific type. I am sure my friend told me this once but I'm not to sure.

I went ahead and picked out a probable purchase from Snagglegaster's suggested list, being as cheap as possible I went for GeForce GT 440 GDDR5. Is it even possible to install this in my rig?

7. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Hi MuttonBandit,

Your motherboard seems very much open to upgrades which is always a plus since we can find a variety of GPU's to suit you. However, as megabite said, we could do with your power supply details since GPU's are especially dependant on them. You can usually find such information on a sticker just on the side of the supply itself.

However, I'll throw a couple of suggestions out there...

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

A fantastic all-round graphics card, will run practically any game you throw at it. You should get Battlefield 3 to run on high with great FPS.

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 OC

A great edition of the 7770, will probably play most games, some with settings reduced but I'd insist in sinking a bit more money in to a 6870. The reason I praise the 6870 so much is because I recently invested £122 in this card and it literally runs everything I throw at it with ease.

For an Nvidia alternative (if you're an nvidia fan)

EVGA GeForce GTX 560

Costs more than the 6870 but can't out-perform it. Still a nice Nvidia alternative.

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Personally, I'd spend around $150 or so for a video card, and I like AMD Radeon cards. Any PCI-E 2.x video card should work in your computer, but a 350 Watt PSU is probably inadequate, and I would suggest buying a good 450-500 Watt PSU. So, that's a few more dollars you get to spend. As a rule of thumb, mid-range graphics are well supported on most current games and will run fine with new games for a couple of years. I don't game much, but my Radeon 4870 plays Diablo III very well, and The Witcher 2 well with reduced quality settings at 1920x1080 resolution. Generally, I think the sweet spot for any hardware purchase is the mid-range to upper mid-range.

9. MuttonBandit

Is there any significance one what the PSU brand/model is? Or can I just simply get the cheapest 450-500W one?

10. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Unfortunately no, since the cheapest PSU's usually have a poor build for larger graphics cards and demanding tasks like gaming.

The cheapest you'll likely pay is around £50 or $80.

Here is the sort of PSU you'd require: 550W OCZ ZS Series

This PSU is very cheap and OCZ are really building their reputation, a good cheap brand to consider.

11. MuttonBandit

Cheaper than I expected thank you!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058167