1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb1978march, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisb1978march

chrisb1978march Thread Starter

Good morning,

I'm looking for some general advice around my graphics card on my rig. The rig itself is just over 3 years old now (see specs next to my name) It was a customised one and at the time I went for pretty much the best of everything that I could afford at the time. I have upgraded a couple of things, namely memory and hard-drives over the past couple of years, but I've not really needed to do much else as even by todays standards it runs games on high sometimes ultra..depending.

I'm looking at either obtaining another GTX280 (1gb) and running in SLI (I know its dated now but as previously mentioned it still runs games at high) I am bidding on a couple on ebay...as it seems I can't get them from many places now. My other option is to splash out on one of the newer GTX 680 cards... but at £370 I don't think I can justify it on the basis that I don't think it will improve my system by £370! I can probably pick up a GTX 280 for between £60 - £80 or less if i'm lucky!

What are your thoughts?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not a fan of sli IMO it is just a gimmick to sell more video cards. I would go with a single 660 card and be done with the problem.

Something to consider if you go sli; you are going to need at the very least an 850W or so high end ie corsair or seasonic pw supply. The 2xx nvidia cards are VERY pw hungry AND you post you have the system OCed. That takes more pw as well. The later 5 and 6 series cards are much better in pw consumption.

3. chrisb1978march

It seems you're giving me a lot of advice recently crjdriver :D which is appreciated by the way.
    I've done some googling around sli and it's a mixed bag by the looks of it. Some say sli is good when it works. Others say it best to get the best card you can as they'll be thing older cards can't do. My gtx 280 isnt dx11 for example. Hmm may just leave it if I can't get another gtx 280 for less than £50. As I said I'm still happy with the card even by today's standards.

Will update if I get another one :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I always recommend the fastest single card solution that fits your budget.

SLi doesn't work in all games, dual cards use more power, and dual cards create more heat.

5. chrisb1978march

Thanks Oddba11 I think unless I get the card I'm bidding on for dirt cheap I'll leave it and get a new one in the new year. Possibly the 660 as for the price it looks a good card. One thing about the gtx 280 is that once you crank the stock fan up it's noisy as hell and two of them may sound something like an Airbus taking off!
    Thanks for the advice!

6. chrisb1978march

Didn't win that card so will save and get a better card in a couple of months!

Thanks all for you advice :)

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

One high end card is the way to go. Two high end cards will create alot of heat and use gobs of power for little benefit on the games that can actually utilize two or more cards..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice