1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musiclover, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musiclover

musiclover Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to purchase a new video card as I recently purchased a game that requires more memory than my current card has. I am wondering if there are any restricitons I need to be aware of as far as compatabilty with my pc goes, and if when I do purchase the new card, if I am supposed to plug my monitor into it. I think this site is wonderfull and I think all of you who know who offer advise do all of us who don't are even more wonderfull. Thanks much!

2. pronute

pronute

Due to a total lack of detail I'll take a wild guess
    Your PC is a Packard Bell with a 75 MHz Pentium, integrated video, two PCI slots, one ISA slot, the Video card you want to install is a GeForce 4 TI4200 128MB AGP 4X. Sorry to say this wont work due to having no AGP slot.

3. suesman

suesman

Yea we need some system specs. It's hard to say what you can or cannot do without more info. If you dont know exactly what you have...Name & model # of the machine will be good.

4. P1zzaman

P1zzaman

Go with ATI.. it seems like they are taking the lead over Nvidia now-a-these-days. But ya, system specs needed

-Pizzaman

5. musiclover

musiclover Thread Starter

O.k. sorry.. here goes..

My system is actually a Dell 2100, 1.1ghz processor, 512MB Ram, 20gb HD with 4 ports in the bottom (I think they are akg ports-they are the same ports that my modem, ethernet card and sound card are plugged into). The current video card has only 4 MB memory, and I need at least 16 MB to run the program I am hoing to run. When looking at video cards on ebay I noticed how many of them have a slot on the back that you can plug a monitor into and was wondiering if when I get one, if this is where I will plug my monitor in and if so how exactly I will go about installing it with drivers ect. Willl I put it in and keep my monitor plugged into the old plug, install drivers and then switch the plug to the new card, or am I way off base with all of this...
    Hope this info is enought to go on.. Sorry for my lack of detail before.

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

The Dimension 2100 retains the 810E Chipset base and the Intel i740 integrated graphics system, making it a poor performer overall in 3D games. There is NO AGP slot in this system - you have been warned. You will NOT be able to upgrade to anything faster than a Radeon SDR or GeForce2 MX as the Dimension 2100 has only PCI slots.

Im sure this is not what you wanted to hear....If you wanna read the full review on your system. Here's a link...

http://www.epinions.com/content_42416901764

Good luck....
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

7. suesman

suesman

Well if you only need 16megs to run the program, then one of the PCI cards will work just fine. Now you won't be able to play many of the latest games, but you will notice some improvement.

Any of the 64 meg cards on this page will give you a noticeable improvement over the onboard video you have now. I would suggest you get one with the DDR memory as opposed to the SDRAM. You will have much better performance that way.

I get the impression that you are not a hardcore gamer, so i think these will suit your needs just fine.

8. pronute

pronute

Yes if you do decide to get a PCI video card for your system first thing to do is keep the monitor plug into the old one go into setup disable the onboard video, then save and exit, shut down the computer install the video card plug the monitor in to the new card boot up install the drivers and your off, however this Dell like many other Dells are just meant to be workstations, and if any game rejects you for your video card it's really because the whole system is under powered. Your new game may cost you a lot of money and aggravation for nothing, there is a reason why Dells and all the rest are "so affordable"

9. pronute

pronute

Yes that's correct, to enter setup when the computer first boots, prier to loading the OS it runs POST (power on self test) most computers display this it's where the memory test is done, and few display a LOGO at the bottom of the screen look for a message that states "to enter setup press[X]" where X= what ever key you hit to enter setup example on my PC it's the delete key I think on Dells it's the F2 key not sure they it all the time all this is in the manual however, and some BIOS don't let you directly disable the onboard video, in that case you have to set it to use VGA boot from PCI. You have between 5 - 30 seconds to get into setup depending on system specs.because you have to enter setup before the OS starts to load.

10. Xander

Xander

Well if all you want is a PCI 16 meg card, I'd try to hunt down an old Voodoo 3...it's not much of a card, but it's not much money, either.

I'd give you a line about mass marketed pieces of crap being sad, but at the moment yours probably works better than my custom job :(

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice