1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FinestRanger, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FinestRanger

FinestRanger Thread Starter

how noticeable will it be if I upgrade from my GeForce FX5200 to a
    XFX GeForce 4 FX5600 Ultra 128MB TV DVI VIVO. Any problems/conflicts with my currents set up? I only own one game (Call of Duty) and I'm rather unimpressed with my card's ability to keep up.

2. McTimson

McTimson

I think it would run pretty nicely then...that would be a nice little upgrade for it, and it should run CoD smoothly.

When you install it, make sure you remove the video drivers for your card first, then turn off the computer, and put the new card in, and install drivers. You can probably get away without removing the drivers first, but just to be sure, and to get the best outcome, you should remove the drivers first.

3. kressner

kressner

wrong. the diffrence between 5200 and 5600 is nothing you can realy see or feal because there is a war going on between nvidia and ati so they both try to be first and the latest 5000 and + series are all most the same unless you buy the 5900 or 5950 then it will be diffrent ... boi !

4. zeddy

zeddy

There is a major difference between the fx5200 and fx5600 particularly if using the 5600ultra version.

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

As zeddy said, there is a big difference going from the 5200 to the 5600 since the 5200 is NOT a gaming card by any means. Personally I would take an ATI 9600Pro anytime over a 5600 series. Until you get to the 5900 series, ATI outperforms for the money.

6. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

Well said, StillLearnin'. I really really hope that you aren't a Nvidia fan, because the 9600XT really beats the pants off the 5600 Ultra. Heck, I wouldnt be lieing if i said the 9500 Pro beat the 5600 Ultra by a mile. If you dont believe me, check it out here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1797&p=7

Nvidia always was a good one for picture quality, but when it comes to really cranking the anisotropic filtering and all the other little gadgets up, ATI always won.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Actually until the latest release of cards, Nvidia couldn't hold a candle to ATI for visual quality( and I still prefer ATI). And the 9500Pro is one h*** of a card no doubt- just a HUGE power sucker!

8. FinestRanger

OK...thanks for the replies. I'm still considering the 5600 Ultra. I'm kinda confused as to the "upgrades" made to the card and there seem to be 50,000,000 different brands of the card. Can anyone give me some links to prices for THIS particular card? I've googled and googled but can't seem to dig up much. Thanks for your help.

9. joe22

joe22

either one should work fine 128mb DDR is very good all though you will see a significant differance on the 5600 ultra. You can get it at tigerdirct.com for $129.00 plus shipping.

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

11. FinestRanger

Yea, I was looking into the XFX on ebay...but with the bids that are in and the S/H charges...it's right around the prices Joe22 and u mentioned, so maybe I'll just order it that way. Thanks for the help guys!

12. Derrick

Derrick

Have the 9500 pro also, and it rocks! do they still make em? Its 9600s now I believe.

13. Derrick

Derrick

I like the MSI Mainboards ,and it seems like all the nvidia cards I've tryed in them don't work very well,I don't know if its me but the ATI card works great!

14. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

FinestRanger: You're welcome and don't forget to do as McTimson said and make sure ALL references to the 5200 are removed before installing the new card. When it asks about the drivers, POINT it to where the current drivers have been downloaded to. Don't select "Let Windows choose(or whatever that bogus prompt says). Go here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=806

Download DD and use it to remove your existing drivers. Since you're using XP HOME, I would totally remove the card from the slot and COLD BOOT back up and then shutdown again BEFORE putting in the new card.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/196268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice