1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BruinBeer, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

Currently, I have a XFX GTS250 512MB Core Edition gpu in my computer and now some voice in my head tells me to upgrade a bit on this.
    I have a bit of a tight budget at max R2000 and was wondering if a card like this would be an ample upgrade: http://titan-ice.co.za/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_143&products_id=5141

I have an idea that this the component causing some irritating lag in games, and I suspect that this will get worse when my new monitor arrive(a 27 inch) which will have larger res than my current 20inch 1600x900:rolleyes:

I also prefer to run my games at the highest level possible, so tuning down the quality is not an option:D

Any comments, ideas etc etc are welcome

PS: Rest of specs is:
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.2GHz;
    Corsair 4gb ddr3 1333;
    Running WinXP Pro:cool:

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I am running a GTX460 myself, I am a gamer and I find it quite a nice card. It isn't the best out there but it is pretty decent.

However, things you need to also consider are:

1) What PSU do you currently have, it may not be enough to support the new card as it will require more power to run it.
    2) Using WinXP is limiting your graphics a bit as you can only use DirectX 9. DirectX 10 and 11 are Vista and Windows 7 only, so you are missing out on their improvements.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice