1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card/Video Card/whatever

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stupis, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stupis

Stupis Thread Starter

I have already posted regarding my problem, but this is a new thread because the problem still exists. The old thread can be read here.

Since that thread someone has told us that this computer doesn't actually have a video card, only a graphics card.

Anyway, those problems had been persisting every time the game was played, and yesterday we bought a new expansion pack for the sims and figured this could possibly fix the problem, but it still happens. We also downloaded new drive routes and catalyst control center for the graphics card as that was suggested for the game. These are from ATI and the graphics card we have is RADEON X850 Series.

We're not even certain that the problem is the Graphics Card and are not confident enough to go poking around in the computer to try things, so does anyone have ANY suggestions for other problems this could be and what we can do to try to fix it?

2. coorrel

coorrel

Go ask them what's the difference between the video card and graphic card.
    If you can see ANYTHING on the monitor than you have a graphic/video card.

Artifacts are mostly due to:
    1. Heat - make sure not overheating idle temp below 45 degrees should be fine.
    2. Faulty motherboard slot - take the card out put in a working mobo if you can.
    3. Faulty graphic/video card - dying card... nothing you can do RMA it or buy new one.
    4. Faulty monitor cables - change to another working one to test.
    5. Faulty power molex cable to video card - change to another working one to test.

That's all I can think of.
    If temps are ok, I'm think your card dying, RMA it or buy new one.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you are seeing is a problem with the card OR a problem with a power supply.
    Post the specs on the power supply that the system has.

The only other thing I could suggest is checking catalyst control center to see if someone overclocked the card. If it is OCed, return it to stock settings.

One more thing, that is not a software problem. It is a hardware issue so if you are not confident with the inside of the system, take it to a pro.

4. Stupis

Stupis Thread Starter

OK, what is mobo, what is RMA, and what is meant by overclocked?

5. coorrel

coorrel

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

mobo=motherboard
    RMA=return material authorization; how you return parts you bought online.
    Overclocked means running the card at faster than standard speed. There is an option in CCC to do this.

7. Stupis

Stupis Thread Starter

Is there any way that ATI can automatically turn the computer off? Eg. if the temp is too high or something? Because this has now happened three times today while playing a game. What can be the reason?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not check your temps in CCC? It has that option also. Normal temp for a card like that would be ,60C or so. Under a load it can go to 80C or a little more.

9. Stupis

Stupis Thread Starter

I had actually already had a look in there. The temp here was over 80C, actually around 91 first I think. But, I can't seem to find an option of automatically turning the computer off, if you meant that was there?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, the option I am referring to is under advanced view. It is for overclocking the card. If the card has been overclocked, return it to stock settings which should be at the bottom of each slider.

That temp is getting a little warm; you might want to make sure the heatsink is clean and the fan is running at normal speed. In addition try to tie up any loose cables, molex power connectors, etc to give yourself good case airflow. If you do not have an exhaust fan, consider installing one.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice