1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by softlikerock, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. softlikerock

softlikerock Thread Starter

Computer crashed while running a game on high settings. Then crashed twice more resulting in death. I can start up now but am stuck with red lines going across the screen and I can't make it past Windows Recovery Manager (unable to start OS). One previous message stated something like 'overclocking settings failed resetting configurations to default settings.' I'm not sure what I should do at this point since I don't have access to another computer to test the components. I was thinking of just getting another video card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo)...

2. softlikerock

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit
    FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express

Previous MOBO and PS replaced two years ago because PS fried the MOBO. Current MOBO was just plug-n-play can't remember it offhand. . .

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

You mention having red lines on the screen, do you get those as soon as you turn the machine on? i.e. before Windows starts booting up? If yes, then I would say there is a good chance your graphics card is failed / failing.

That alone shouldn't stop the OS from starting up. Try resetting your BIOS to defaults, if your board has onboard graphics remove the NVidia card and use the onboard for testing.

If you are overclocking, set everything back to defaults to remove that overclocking element from the equation.

4. softlikerock

I'm trying to figure out why Windows can not load . . . The Windows Recovery Manager states that it can not resolve the problem and lists this in the details:

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03: unknown
    Problem Signature 04: 21200762
    Problem Signature 05: AutoFailOver
    Problem Signature 06: 3
    Problem Signature 07: Bad Driver
    Problem Signature 08: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

The Bad Driver signature probably refers to my video card which I am replacing. The AutoFailOver probably means I have to use the Windows 7 System Repair DVD, but the Windows 7 I have installed came from a free upgrade version from my school. Any suggestions for repairing this problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice