Graphics Card

tcampanella

Tony
I have just purchased a refurbished Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 i5 6th Gen Tower Windows 10 Computer. I am looking to update the graphics card. I purchased a refurbished Lenovo GeForce GT730 2GB Duel DP HP and LP Graphics Card. I have had reputable sources tell me it is compatible with the computer. When I open up the computer I can't see a slot anywhere it fits. I can see the graphics card that's in there now. However the slot next to it is a lot smaller and will not accommodate the the graphics card I bought. I am reaching out to you for any help you can afford me. If the graphics card I bought is not compatible, can you tell me what would work. Thanks.

tcampanella

managed

Allan
Can you remove the original graphics card and fit the 'new' one into the socket the original card was in ?

Couriant

James
1624043364500.png

No. 26 is probably where it needs to go. May go in No. 24 to give you more connectivity.

crjdriver

You need to pull the existing video card out in order to install a new video card.

crjdriver

How to properly install a new video card;
1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card
2 Uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
3 Shutdown and pull the old card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. Install the new card and make any pw connections as necessary
4 Make sure you connect your monitor to the card and not to the onboard port on the motherboard. Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1 Reboot when prompted

Done.

crjdriver

Remind me, would the port drop to 2.0 standard? It is a PCI-E 3.0 but the card supposedly is 2.0.
If the card is only 2.0, then that is as fast as it is going to go. The rest of the pci-e bus should still run @3 speed ie a real sound card, or whatever.

crjdriver

When I looked at the specs on that system, it showed only a 180W pw supply [at least that is what I found]
The video card requires a 300W minimum pw supply so IF he really has only a 180W unit, he needs to upgrade that before attempting to install a video card.

tcampanella

Tony
Pulled all cards from slots. However 2 slots contained no cards. Does not fit in any of those slots. Tried several times. By looking at the card, it is big. The photo sent by you guys (of the card) looks right. I think the card is compatible, but I don't know for sure.

managed

Allan
Do you mean the graphics card is too large overall to get into position where it can be connected into a socket or just that the connector on the card does not fit into a socket ?

tcampanella

Tony
I figured it out. Problem solved. Thank all of you for your help and your time.

Tcampanella

managed

Allan
Please post your solution, it could help someone with a similar problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online