Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphics Card

650 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a refurbished Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 i5 6th Gen Tower Windows 10 Computer. I am looking to update the graphics card. I purchased a refurbished Lenovo GeForce GT730 2GB Duel DP HP and LP Graphics Card. I have had reputable sources tell me it is compatible with the computer. When I open up the computer I can't see a slot anywhere it fits. I can see the graphics card that's in there now. However the slot next to it is a lot smaller and will not accommodate the the graphics card I bought. I am reaching out to you for any help you can afford me. If the graphics card I bought is not compatible, can you tell me what would work. Thanks.

tcampanella

#7 ·
How to properly install a new video card;
1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card
2 Uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
3 Shutdown and pull the old card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. Install the new card and make any pw connections as necessary
4 Make sure you connect your monitor to the card and not to the onboard port on the motherboard. Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1 Reboot when prompted

Done.

#9 ·
When I looked at the specs on that system, it showed only a 180W pw supply [at least that is what I found]
The video card requires a 300W minimum pw supply so IF he really has only a 180W unit, he needs to upgrade that before attempting to install a video card.

#10 ·
Pulled all cards from slots. However 2 slots contained no cards. Does not fit in any of those slots. Tried several times. By looking at the card, it is big. The photo sent by you guys (of the card) looks right. I think the card is compatible, but I don't know for sure.

#11 ·
Do you mean the graphics card is too large overall to get into position where it can be connected into a socket or just that the connector on the card does not fit into a socket ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.