1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Cards and Video Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by annieskid25, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annieskid25

annieskid25 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nancy
    I'm trying to run a game in High Def and it says I need to upgrade to GEFORCE 3 or better. Is this a video or a graphics card and what is the best choice to fix this problem.
    I've read posts on graphics card and have it down to a choice between GEFORCE and ATI Radeon 3870 that Im having a hard time making since I don't know much about this yet and my comp is at least 5 yrs old. Running an EMachine 3400, 512 mb with windows xp and extra membory added. And which is better the 9600 Geforce or the 3?

2. Jones

Jones

First, the GeForce 3 is a VERY old series of graphics cards. The 9600 is in the 9 series of GeForce cards from nVidia, which is much newer, and far more powerful.

Can you tell us a bit more about your system? List your current hardware setup, and list the name/minimum requirements of the game you're trying to play. This info will make if much easier for us to help you. Cheers!

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I take it you have an AGP type video card slot available on your motherboard? If you aren't sure, the first thing to determine is if you can use a AGP card or a PCI-E card or can only use a PCI card. I'm just assuming that you have an AGP slot available for a graphics card on a computer that's 5 years old. Some EMachine systems didn't have any specialized graphics port and were limited to PCI only.

A GeForce 3 card is really really really old while a Radeon 9600 XT or PRO is merely really really old. A more contemporary card in that category would be a Radeon X1050 or 1600, or a GeForce 6200 with at least 128 mb of memory (256 better).

4. Compiler

Compiler

A model on the front can come with all kinds of differences on the inside or if there are upgrades. A quick check and guess. Emachine 3400 should have: AMD64 3000+ It is most likely socket 754 - but even if its a 939, its not upgradable. It should have an AGP slot, but I don't know.

Download PC Wizard - which is below my post in my SIG. It will tell you if you have an AGP slot... your CPU, etc.

As already posted. What kind of game(s) are you trying to play?

If you want to play something like UT2004 or World of Warcraft, buying a $80~100 video card will work. You may still need to replace the PSU(Power Supply Unit) as eMachines come with minimal tiny PSUs that tend to fail. Especially if its NOT a standard ATX PSU. Depending on your eMachine - this maybe simple of difficult. IE: if its a very small physical PSU - finding something that is 350watts is tricky and will cost about $70~100 - instead of $40~60 for a standard 450watt.

If you want to play a more modern game, such as Call of Duty 4 - you're SOL. You're going to need to replace the whole computer. And unless you build yourself - it's going to be a Vista system, and you'll still need to replace the PSU as name-brand computers come with 300watt PSUs - maybe a 350. But for $500 nowadays, you'll get a 2Ghz dual core CPU, 3-4GB of RAM, 250~350GB HD.

I used to own a GeForce3 (GF3) card. 5 years ago it was OLD. We were up to GF5. Today, we're in the middle of GF9 cards.

5. sup2a

sup2a

well, because its 5 years old or older, you wont be able to use the newest graphics cards, you wont have PCIe (well i doubt it not sure when they were introduced) and the PSU would not be able to cope with a modern card (once again a guess but you card is less than a GeForce 3) your going to have to check inside the case, it may just be worth as suggested to get a new computer... that's a rather old computer...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice