1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neilmac1512, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neilmac1512

neilmac1512 Thread Starter

I wish to upgrade my graphics card but don't know which card is compatable with my computer, I would appreciate your advice, my operating system windows vista

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your computer does have a PCIe x16 slot in it. The one thing you need to watch though is it only came with a 300W power supply with limited amperage on the +12v Rail. Since your motherboard has an nVidia Chipset in it you will want to go with the same for your video.

3. Compiler

Compiler

What do you want to improve for your computer? Better desktop performance and video playback? A lower end ATI and Geforce will do. (ATI 4300~4500 or Geforce 9400/g220 - these are $30~65). If you're looking at gaming, then a budget is needed as well as game goals. Some people are fine with $75, others must have 2 or 3 cards that cost $300 each.

Some cards:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

- - - -
    Testing has been done, with results showing some ATI cards running better on some Nvidia chipsets. But with onboard video being a Ge-Force which may or may not be De-activatable, it maybe easier to deal with a GeForce card.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If he is looking to upgrade the computer in his signature, the onboard graphics is a Gforce 9100 chip.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I bekieve that the bios setup allows for the onboard graphics to be disabled.

6. Compiler

Compiler

My point is that there is (shouldn't be) any issues of using an ATI card on an Nvidia chipset, visa-versa. Intel doesn't sell discrete video cards - yet their motherboards for desktop and notebooks work fine with a 3rd party Graphics card or chip.

ATI, AMD, nVidia, Intel have to follow the standards designed into the PCIe bus, etc. Nvidia would rather a person with an AMD Mobo/CPU buy a GeForce card than not. There is no advantage for them to cause problems, same with ATI.

Besides, nVidia will most likely be leaving the Desktop Chipset business especially since the i3 or i5s include their own built-in GPUs. The last of the nVidia chipsets for ATI are quite out-dated and not recommended against ATI. And as others stated here... go with an intel chipset for intel. Pretty soon, nVidia *will* be allowing SLi on ATI & intel chipsets (for free)... because if nobody is buying their chipsets/motherboards - whose going to buy those 2~3 card configs?

PS:

G-Force is either a 70s Anime series (my avatar) or a recent rodent movie by Disney.
    GeForce are the GPU/Video cards... :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice