1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Corruption Problem (Graphics Card)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fat Zombie, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie Thread Starter

Okay, so I've just had to turn my graphics card off. This is because the problem that has plagued me for the better part of the year has gotten worse.

The problem? THIS:

[​IMG]

This first started in the first Q of the year. During a game (HL2 GarrysMod), the graphics screwed up. The thing is, when I got back to desktop, everything worked (works) fine. Just the graphics are b*ggered royally. After an email exchange with the sellers of the graphics card (An Abit Radeon 9600SE), Dabs, I got them to take it back and "fix" it. By "fix", I meant that after using the "fixed" card for a while (a couple/few months) it happened again (around September) . So I asked them again, but the warranty had expired so no help there. So I simply didn't play any games. Apart from a small period of time in October (Where it worked for some reason, then started screwing up again), I haven't been able to play any 3D games. I then reasoned that it struggled on the 3D factor. So I started playing 2D games like CnC RA2 and Baldurs Gate. But then, recently, they started to screw up too. So I stopped playing games. But now tonight, the card started screwing up, on the desktop. So I disabled the card.

More information. While the card was away getting "fixed" my stepdad lent me a spare card of his (which he no longer has), an Nvidia 5200. When i put it in, the motherboard wouldn't recognise it. So we did everything; we reinstalled windows, we did the drivers again, and we finally came to the conclusion that it was the motherboard. So we put in a new mobo, and it worked! This card worked without a hitch.
    I believe that this may have been caused by not uninstalling the previous drivers before putting in the new card.

However, what I want to know is:
    Was this error caused definitely by the card? And will I have to get a new mobo when I get my new graphics card (Christmas, YAY!)?

I would like help and advice. Thank you.

2. frostyrootbe

frostyrootbe

Well it seems like it is a problem with the motherboard, although graphical artifacts can be caused by an overheating card. What are the specs on your old and current motherboards?

3. Fat Zombie

I simply cannot remember my old motherboard's model. However, I can tell you that mine:

is a VIA VT8377 APOLLO KT400/A/600 CPU to PCI bridge.

The bus is an ISA AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus.

What other information do you need?

Here it is from SiSoft Sandra:

4. frostyrootbe

frostyrootbe

I would say it was a problem with the old mobo, if your getting a new vid card you may want to think about getting a new mobo with PCI-E (but the 6600 or 6800's are pretty good agp cards if you don't).

5. Fat Zombie

Erm. It happened last night without the graphics card. (I was doing something 3d at the time, which was a bit silly)

What I want to know is:

Why does it happen?
    Can it be fixed?
    Why did it happen with TWO SEPARATE motherboards?

Last point is most important; I don't want to spend money on another mobo, just to have to keep on buying them over and over. Will anything help? I notice I have no case fans. Would buying some help to prevent this happening?

Help would be much appreciated.

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

No case fans whatsoever? That is not good. My machine has 6 fans.

7. Fat Zombie

Gosh. I probably will be getting some fans; but i want to know what will definitely stop this cycle of b*ggered motherboards.

8. westbroma

westbroma

Isn't that just a little hot?

9. Fat Zombie

Yeah. Question is, if I get a few new fans, will it fix my problem?

I'll most likely buy them anyways, but will I have to buy this as well?

I might later, but still...

10. ohgrant

ohgrant

11. Fat Zombie

It might be heat. Though I do remember after leaving the PC for a bit, and starting a game, as soon as it loads, corrupting. Though it's most probable.

How would I update the chipset drivers? Would I have to uninstall all my other drivers? (I'm not sure it's the gfx card drivers, unless both that and the chipset drivers are wrong - I caused a corruption last night whilst doing 3d things without the graphics card.

I'm guessing it is heat. Though it might be a bit hard to use the fan; my PC is enclosed on either side by the desk compartment.

12. ohgrant

ohgrant

Yes it is, I would reseat that hs fan with arctic silver. 70c is the core slowdown threshold for a cpu.

13. westbroma

westbroma

Tbh, If you are getting a decent AGP gfx for Xmas, I would get that board, a A64 CPU and 1gb RAM. And if you get an A64, CPU cooling shouldn't be an issue, as i hear the A64 run very cool compared to the Xp chips.

14. westbroma

westbroma

Probably a new hs fan too, im thinking of getting a ThermalTake Volcano 12 along with the above for my Athlon Xp 3200+, as it's 55 degrees C under a moderate amount of load, and it was 64 C when i pushed the AA/AF the other day. I'm thinking of overclocking it a bit as well, and I somehow i don't think i will be able to that with my current one :/

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Well, the XP3200+ isn't a very good overclocker. It is already pushed pretty hard at it's stock 2200 mhz. I mean it can be done, but don't expect too much. I have one that will hit 2300 mhz without upping the vcore but it just wasn't worth the aggravation for 100 mhz.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice