1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics driver issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaneo, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

I have been given a AGP graphics card and was told it is some kind of nvidia Riva TNT but i am unsure exactly what. I have tried finding the exact drivers but none seem to work.Because their seems to be so many variations of these names(nvidia,geforce,TNT,TNT2,Riva 128 etc)I have no way of knowing if i have the right driver so i am unsure wether to persist with the drivers i have found or look for another..I have tried a few from the nvidia site but they don't work.I got one from driverguide.com
    and installation wiz accepted it and device manager listed it as Nvidia Riva TNT but everythhng locked up and multiple blue screens and freeze ups forced me to uninstall.Now i am stuck with a" PCI VGA Compatible Display Adapter" in device manager.
    Every boot up finds the Nvidia RIva Card but I avoid lettig it install the driver because it causes freezes etc.A visual inspection of the card itself comes up with these numbers.

GIC 01299.
    P/N 9821-012A
    FCC-ICUVGA-gw820.
    MY Sisoft Sandra program reports the card as "Nvidia Riva GFX DDCI i2c"But I am unsure weter this report is because of the failed troublesome driver installation
    Do these mean anything?

Can any one tell me exactly what card this is? The main chip is covered with a fan but i will remove if it is necessary for exact ID.
    I have access to the PC it came from so if any one knows how I might get some info off that then tell me how(It is running XP).

The system I am installing it into is running Win 98se.

During the first boot after I first put it into the slot some details quickly flashed on the screen . Something like "Nvidia Riva... 16.0 mb
    something. something...It flashes really quick so I can't quite get all the details.It has done this from the first boot and still does
    Any thing will help.

Thanks
    Shaneo

2. scmazter

scmazter

Well, if I understand right the computer with the problem still works.
    Anyway, boot it up, click start>run and type dxdiag, go to 'display' bar - and that should tell u exactly what graphics chip you have.

3. PCfixer

PCfixer

Make sure you remove the original drivers from SYSTEM, DEVICE MANAGER, work your way down the list of devices, uninstall the AGP driver listed and reboot, then try installing the Detonator driver from Nvidea, you can pre-load this onto the desktop or somewhere where you'll find it later, but don't execute the prog untill you've uninstalled the original driver and rebooted

4. A Hawk

A Hawk

Do what smazter says and type in dxdiag in run. It should also showup when you boot like you said, it will flash on the very top of the screen. If its a riva card with a geforce chip, go here http://www.riva.com and download the driver, I'm pretty sure they have a universal driver now for most cards.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice