Graphics games wont run

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulboca

Just got new computer. Re-installing games (Medal of Honor and RTCW) and keep getting bad vertical lines when graphics come up so that I cannot see the graphics.
When I try and play from CD, and main room comes on, screen is all screwed up. Cannot see anything with all the lines.
This is a brand new computer (Dell XPS w/WinXP Media Edition, 3.2G processor and 1G RAM). These games worked fine on my 5 year old computer with XP Home.
EA tech support has had me close all processes (under my user name) and all apps and that still has not solved the problem. Uninstalled and re-installed several times with no success. Set up a new user with full administrator authority and installed there, but still no help.

Does anyone have any ideas???:eek: :confused:

I would try removing the video card and then put it back in, it sounds as though it is not connected fully.

I think I had (and still have) this problem also. I'm pretty sure its the cable connecting the monitor to the PC, since every time I have the problem (happens with certain graphics-heavy games), I simply wiggle the cable and the lines dissapear. I would suggest you try another input cable (either RGB or DVI, depending on what you're using now). I'll buy one sometime this week and let you know if it fixes things for me.

P.S. The lines are green, correct?

paulboca

jiggled the cable and no help. Also, NO, the lines are not green. all shades of gray and black

EA tech support cant do much since the problem is happening with all games. IS not there fault. Is your pc.

I am guessing your video card is defected. I think you have to send your pc in to dell to get it fixed.

By the way, what kind of video card does your system have?

illu45,

I've been having mostly green vertical lines show up during games starting about a month ago, just like you. They occur very randomly (as soon as I start playing or even 5hrs into it) but I haven't thought about jiggling the cable on the monitor. The next time it happens, I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

I've posted pics on my thread "Are Video Card Drivers Causing This?" in the Hardware forum. It's easy to spot that thread since there are 111 posts in it and over 1000 views. Check out that thread and let me know if your lines are similar to mine.

BTW... I have an ATI Radeon 9800XT that I've had for almost two years without problems, but games have been really hit-or-miss for the last month or so.

Lovely, the lines came back as soon as I started the game. Still no idea why it is happening. Look at this pic. Are these lines "familiar" to any of you?

Attachments

Yeah, those are the lines I was getting, or at least a lot like them... I haven't gottem them in a while, though... Normally, cycling the power of my monitor or jiggling the cable helps... I'll put in my new cable and then give see if they re-appear.

Really? I tried jiggling both cables on my monitor to no avail. Is there any special technique I should follow when jiggling RGB cables?

Let me know if replacing the cord helps. I'd much rather replace a cord than replace a video card. :cool:

Hehe... I have a DVI cable, so that may be a differentiating factor... I just move it up and down, watching the monitor, eventually the lines dissapear (usually when I move it up). And I keep it there.

Are DVI cables those smaller thinner ones with the round head? I think mine's an RGB one, the one with the massive 15 pin connector (I think) on the head.

This cable doesn't seem to have any "give". There's no direction I can jiggle it. It's firmly in place.

Hm... may want to try unscrewing it a bit, then... or try blowing in it, dust may have settled on some of the pins.

The DVI cables arwe usually a bit longer, though not as wide... They're normally white at the handles, whereas RGB cables are usually blue.

Are you still getting green lines? Did you find a temporary fix for it besides jiggling the cable every time it happens. I want to PREVENT it from happening to me. Do you think it's a cord issue or a card issue?

Which end of the cord are we jiggling here? The end connecting to the tower or the end connecting to the monitor?

What kind of card do you have?

I have heard an endless list of the cause of my problem:

• Overheating
  • Bad drivers
  • Refresh rate problems
  • Damaged GPU
  • Damaged VRAM
  • Bad RAM
  • A connection problem with the card
  • A connection problem with the cord

I honestly don't know what it is yet. Which end do you think needs to be looked at? The one with the gold pins or the one end connecting into my monitor (which I have never unplugged from my monitor- only the other end from the tower)?

I've had a number of temporary solutions, but no permanent ones for the problem so far. The most common one I used was jiggling the cord on the tower side. I also tried updating the drivers (I have an ATI Radeon 9800Pro, BTW), which worked for about a month. I've replaced my RAM mutliple times now due to different problems, so I doubt that's it. It could be the card itself, which I hope to test by switching the cord...

I've moved my PC several times now, so it may be that I just put the PC on the cord a few times during the moving process, or damaged it in some other way..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online