1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Issue When Not Using Standard Windows VGA Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by c4n10, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c4n10

c4n10 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am having an unusual issue inside of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

I was an hour or two into playing Terraria when I suddenly began having screen tearing issues. At the time I was playing on a Gigabyte HD5870 Super OC using drivers from AMD's website. I have had this graphics card inside this machine with this same setup for about a year now with no issues. Thinking the drivers may have become corrupted, I booted into safe mode and used driver sweeper to completely remove my AMD drivers (when the AMD drivers were not installed, the graphics looked fine, the problem went entirely away) and then did a clean re-install of the latest drivers from AMD. The problem returned.

Thinking it might be a problem with the graphics card, I again removed my amd drivers (and again the issue went away while using the standard windows vga drivers) and installed my older nVidida GeForce 9600 GT OC (which was in this same machine with this same setup for about 3 or 4 years with no issues before upgrading to the HD5870), and then installed the latest drivers from nVidia's website, now instead of screen-tearing I am getting grey horizontal lines jumping up and down across the screen (but the problem immediately goes away when reverting back to standard windows VGA driver).

The problem seems to be aggravated by mouse movement and keyboard input as when I am typing or moving the mouse the more and faster the glitches seem to occur.

Also, I noticed on my HD5870 that when the problem was occurring there would be a diagonal line running from the bottom-left corner of the display to the top-right corner of the display and if I opened multiple windows, the diagonal line would appear in each individual window and the tearing would occur in between the two halves separated by the diagonal line.

I have run Hitman Pro, Rogue Killer, TDSS Killer, Microsoft Security Essentials and System Mechanic 12 all on their most intense settings, there are no viruses or malware and system mechanic could not find any problems.

Can anyone think of what could cause this problem...?

Thank you in advance!!!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would Uninstall SYstem mechanic 12 as it will and probaly has caused severe damage to the windows registry and system files. We discourage the use of such programs here at TSG for that reason. Whats the make and model of your PSU?? As well as the 12V rail rating?

3. c4n10

c4n10 Thread Starter

I only just installed System Mechanic on this box last night after fighting with my graphics issue for 3 days. I thought System Mechanic might be able to fix something I hadn't already thought of and gave it a go as I have been using System Mechanic for many years on a few different boxes and I have never had it cause a problem, but I will take a look at uninstalling it.

My PSU is an Antec TP3-650 True Power Trio. I'm not sure what you mean by 12v railing rating, but I know it has three +12v rails and a 650w power rating.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    That PSU is NOT a quality unit. IMO, more than a single 12V rail is not worth it. I would advise to swap in a KNOWN good working PSU unit to test the machine with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice